Water Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishAddict413

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in Port Richey, FL and was wondering if anyone has experience with the local water. I have a FOWLR system and cannot afford a RO system. I have been using tap water with amquel and instant ocean salt mix. Does anyone have any other suggestions to make the water a higher quality? My nitrates are always high and I know the local water has phosphates which I use Phosbuster Pro to counter act that. I would love to hear some suggestions.....

I use Seachem. Purigen on my FW planted tanks, it says for use in marine and FW. Is absorbs dissolved organics, but I think it's more for circulation in the tank than purifying the water during PWCs.

Our tap water here (des moines ia) is over 9.0 out of the tap but drops fast in the tank, we have a drinking water RO/DI but it still comes out over 8, high phosphates and silicates as well, so I've got a similar problem, I get a lot of algae in my FW planted. Since I added more plants it has dropped considerably however.

As for SW, I don't know of anything short of buying distilled water or RO/DI. You can buy it in parts and DIY or shop online, but i don't know the cost. Lucky for me the tank I bought from someone getting rid of it came with an RO/DI but I'm sure I'll have to replace the media just to be safe.

I can fill a 5 gallon bottle with RO for $1.50 at the local Publix.

WOW! That's a good price. Is there a limit to how many bottles you can fill? Have you tested the water?

There is a machine out front. i have not tested it other than the test strips. But it will superchill and the taste test also confirms filtered water.

I talked to the guy cleaning the machine. It is a huge RO system with filters 3-4 feet long. I have four 5gallon bottles and that is what my family drinks. I am sure the water in NPR is just as bad as it is in tampa. it supposedly wins awards for quality, but I hate the taste.

Back
Top Bottom