Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest & the Dakotas
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ammonia levels at 0.25 ppm

Hello I was wondering if a .25 ammonia level is ok in a 40 gallon tank? The next monthly water change is coming up and filter change also. Will it drop back down to 0 after I do the monthly maintnance? Click image for larger version

Name:	1484164425919.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	293143

Old 01-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

.25ppm can be lethal. Ammonia needs to be zero.

What kind of filter do you have? Ideally, you will keep your filter media as long as possible.

Also, consider doing water changes more often. Many people do weekly water changes. What is your stock?

http://injaf.org/
http://www.instagram.com/thedelicion
nirbhao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

More info will help a lot. You want your ammo at 0ppm. Do you have fish in the tank? Has it cycled properly? What is the temp, filter setup, fish setup?? Any and all info will help. Doing a monthly change is ok IF the levels of Ammo Nitrite and nitrate are within levels. Post more info then we all can help you out. But yes, 0.25ppm ammo is not good
Old 01-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #4

. I currently have in there 4 Rosy Barbs, 3 Tiger Barb, 3 Zebra tetras, 2 giant danios, 4 rasboras, 4 dwarf blood Gouramis, 2 algae eaters, 4 guppies, a bala shark and a pink kissing gourami. The tank is 40 gallons and they all seem to get along. It has been set up like this for 2 months and nothing has died at all also has r aquatic plants that are very healthy
Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

What filter setup. Seems to be overstocked which is ok as long as you have enough filter. Seems like the filter maybe not keeping up.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirbhao View Post
.25ppm can be lethal. Ammonia needs to be zero.

What kind of filter do you have? Ideally, you will keep your filter media as long as possible.

Also, consider doing water changes more often. Many people do weekly water changes. What is your stock?
I have an Aqueon Quiet Flow Pro 50 gallons filters amazing water has always been crystal clear and I have had 0 fish die or become sick in the past 2 months I just recently began testing the water for ammonia and nitrates. Other than that everything else checks ok
Old 01-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would consider adding another filter. I don't think the current one will keep up. Generally I do a filter rated at 2x the aquarium size. You could add another filter and I think this would help. Or, do 25%-30% WC every 3-4days. The filter will keep the water clean but it may not have enough beneficial bacteria to deal with the bio load. The bio load is only going to get worse as the fish get bigger.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #8

Alright sounds good thank you very much for the help I am going to go ahead and get ready to do the monthly water change and might install my other 40 gallon filter if I can find all the parts haha thank you guys very much
Old 01-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm glad everything has worked so far, but, unfortunately, it's not going to last.

Is your zebra tetra possibly a zebra danio? What kind of algae eaters?

Your bala shark is the first issue. Not only is it a shoal fish that needs to be kept in a group of at least 5, they can grow up to a foot long. Plus it will eat almost everything in the tank.

The kissing gourami will get almost as big and eat the rest of your stock. All of the gourami will fight with each other.

Your barbs, danios, and rasboras are social and need to be kept in groups of at least 5, but really you cannot add fish right now.

There's also nowhere near enough in terms of hiding places from what I can see.

Your ammonia won't drop anytime soon, because you currently have nowhere near enough filtration.

Excess ammonia can cause the water to get really clear.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffruth View Post
I would consider adding another filter. I don't think the current one will keep up. Generally I do a filter rated at 2x the aquarium size. You could add another filter and I think this would help. Or, do 25%-30% WC every 3-4days. The filter will keep the water clean but it may not have enough beneficial bacteria to deal with the bio load. The bio load is only going to get worse as the fish get bigger.
With this set-up, Yos would need to do bigger than 50% twice a week.

Tags
ammonia, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com