Ammonia levels at 0.25 ppm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yos97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I was wondering if a .25 ammonia level is ok in a 40 gallon tank? The next monthly water change is coming up and filter change also. Will it drop back down to 0 after I do the monthly maintnance? 1484164425919.jpg

.25ppm can be lethal. Ammonia needs to be zero.

What kind of filter do you have? Ideally, you will keep your filter media as long as possible.

Also, consider doing water changes more often. Many people do weekly water changes. What is your stock?

More info will help a lot. You want your ammo at 0ppm. Do you have fish in the tank? Has it cycled properly? What is the temp, filter setup, fish setup?? Any and all info will help. Doing a monthly change is ok IF the levels of Ammo Nitrite and nitrate are within levels. Post more info then we all can help you out. But yes, 0.25ppm ammo is not good

. I currently have in there 4 Rosy Barbs, 3 Tiger Barb, 3 Zebra tetras, 2 giant danios, 4 rasboras, 4 dwarf blood Gouramis, 2 algae eaters, 4 guppies, a bala shark and a pink kissing gourami. The tank is 40 gallons and they all seem to get along. It has been set up like this for 2 months and nothing has died at all also has r aquatic plants that are very healthy

What filter setup. Seems to be overstocked which is ok as long as you have enough filter. Seems like the filter maybe not keeping up.

.25ppm can be lethal. Ammonia needs to be zero.

What kind of filter do you have? Ideally, you will keep your filter media as long as possible.

Also, consider doing water changes more often. Many people do weekly water changes. What is your stock?
I have an Aqueon Quiet Flow Pro 50 gallons filters amazing water has always been crystal clear and I have had 0 fish die or become sick in the past 2 months I just recently began testing the water for ammonia and nitrates. Other than that everything else checks ok

I would consider adding another filter. I don't think the current one will keep up. Generally I do a filter rated at 2x the aquarium size. You could add another filter and I think this would help. Or, do 25%-30% WC every 3-4days. The filter will keep the water clean but it may not have enough beneficial bacteria to deal with the bio load. The bio load is only going to get worse as the fish get bigger.

Alright sounds good thank you very much for the help I am going to go ahead and get ready to do the monthly water change and might install my other 40 gallon filter if I can find all the parts haha thank you guys very much

I'm glad everything has worked so far, but, unfortunately, it's not going to last.

Is your zebra tetra possibly a zebra danio? What kind of algae eaters?

Your bala shark is the first issue. Not only is it a shoal fish that needs to be kept in a group of at least 5, they can grow up to a foot long. Plus it will eat almost everything in the tank.

The kissing gourami will get almost as big and eat the rest of your stock. All of the gourami will fight with each other.

Your barbs, danios, and rasboras are social and need to be kept in groups of at least 5, but really you cannot add fish right now.

There's also nowhere near enough in terms of hiding places from what I can see.

Your ammonia won't drop anytime soon, because you currently have nowhere near enough filtration.

Excess ammonia can cause the water to get really clear.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I would consider adding another filter. I don't think the current one will keep up. Generally I do a filter rated at 2x the aquarium size. You could add another filter and I think this would help. Or, do 25%-30% WC every 3-4days. The filter will keep the water clean but it may not have enough beneficial bacteria to deal with the bio load. The bio load is only going to get worse as the fish get bigger.
With this set-up, Yos would need to do bigger than 50% twice a week.

I'm glad everything has worked so far, but, unfortunately, it's not going to last.

Is your zebra tetra possibly a zebra danio? What kind of algae eaters?

Your bala shark is the first issue. Not only is it a shoal fish that needs to be kept in a group of at least 5, they can grow up to a foot long. Plus it will eat almost everything in the tank.

The kissing gourami will get almost as big and eat the rest of your stock. All of the gourami will fight with each other.

Your barbs, danios, and rasboras are social and need to be kept in groups of at least 5, but really you cannot add fish right now.

There's also nowhere near enough in terms of hiding places from what I can see.

Your ammonia won't drop anytime soon, because you currently have nowhere near enough filtration.

Excess ammonia can cause the water to get really clear.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Thank you very much for the advice. The fish have been all in there since day one and as far as I can tell they have been getting along very well. No deaths or injuries to any of them. The zebras are probably about an inch long and yes I think they are zebra danios. The bala shark is the longest fish in there around 4 inches the rest of the fish are anywhere from 1 to 3 inches long. I have seen 0 fighting in the last 2 months except for sometimes they will chase each other but that's all never seen any injuries to any fish and they have actually gotten way healthier and more colorful since I bought them so my guess is i should probably upgrade to a bigger tank. I have a friend that has a 125 gallon for very cheap. I might look into that as well as purchasing a canister filter.

Again, I'm glad things are working out so far. Even if you move these fish to a larger tank, nothing is going to change the differences in temperaments.

Bala sharks and kissing gourami eat other fish. Period. This isn't like the kids movie Madagascar, where the lion and zebra can be friends because they really want to. Some of your fish are going to eat the others.

Yhea I totally understand that but if they been in the same tank for more than 2 months and have not even nipped at each other or any other fish are they randomly gonna start doing it in the future or might they just get along forever? Or as they get older do they become more aggressive?

Thank you very much I just did a 50% water change, vacuumed all the gravel and left the tank spotless now let's see if I can maybe make those ammonia levels go down last test I did was between zero ppm and 0.25 ppm my best guess is probably around 0.15 but my kit is not 100% accurate

Update:

Attachments

• 1484194364924.jpg
    1484194364924.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 163
Back
Top Bottom