Anyone from northern Illinois?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rockford

I'm in Rockford. The LFS is a Petland, but the head fish guy Rob is the coral farmer for much of the coral frags and some of the fish. He is a very good source of info, he has told me no to a few purchases, as he was the person that sold me my tank so he knows my specs and such things as tank maturity and some of the stock.
The local Petco has a very limited SW stock. I have no personal knowledge of this store.
There is a feed store (lol, yes animal feed) called Wayne's Feed that actually has a lot of fish as well as some coral and inverts. However the tanks there are pretty unkempt, a lot of aptasia, hair algae and cyano.
Finally a small store called Saltwater Specialties. This owner, Brent, seems to be a hobbyist trying to support his hobby. He has a ton of $10-$20 frags and some very fair prices on colonies. He is also very knowledgeable and a genuinely nice guy.

i'm from montgomery...near oswego...the lfs we use now is reef wise in lisle...also been to reef plus in north aurora...new to the saltwater thing so still feeling my way around...

Anyone know of a good place for freshwater plants near Joliet 60436. Or anyone in that area willing to barter for some I their plant

I just moved to Geneva and Started a 36 gallon tank. The lfs I have been visiting is Out of the Blue aquatics. Seems like a great owner, but not sure that he is as knowledgeable as I would like.

How far is Geneva from Crystal Lake? There is a lfs in Crystal ake called Birds & Beasts. They have fresh water, salt water and they raise all types of birds. The people that work there are very knowledgeable. I leared a lot from them.

Sea Escapes in South Elgin is 20 mins from you and is a really nice store if you haven't been there.

Who knows of some good pet shops around. my favs are shotank in mundelein, and something fishy in fox lake( my local)

What does shotank carry? Its 5 minutes from my school, and I can kill some rime while waiting for sibling :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What does shotank carry? Its 5 minutes from my school, and I can kill some rime while waiting for sibling :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm a salt water guy so not too sure what he's got for freshwater but his salt water aquaria is definitely top notch and he's a real good guy to talk too! Imo any pet store that your only 5 min from is definitely worth swinging in!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sea escapes in South Elgin has a nice selection of FW and Saltwater. It isn't too far from Batavia. 20 mins or so.

I'm in hampshire and have checked out saltwater specialty in rockford seemed like a decent store. Planning on checking a few more out around even though I don't have a saltwater tank yet will in the next couple months. Put always looking for freshwater fish and plants going to be upgrading to another freshwater tank next month thinking of a 40B

I'm in hampshire and have checked out saltwater specialty in rockford seemed like a decent store. Planning on checking a few more out around even though I don't have a saltwater tank yet will in the next couple months. Put always looking for freshwater fish and plants going to be upgrading to another freshwater tank next month thinking of a 40B

Brett the owner is a very nice guy, stock and tank conditions vary. Wayne's Feed in Rockford's west side has a large room of tanks, both fw and sw.

Back
Top Bottom