Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest & the Dakotas
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2004, 10:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

who is gerbers ?

Old 02-27-2005, 08:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AdamsZoological Send a message via Yahoo to AdamsZoological
Sorry, flipz, but what you were told, is wrong. I actually work at Jack's warehouse, in their fishroom, and very very few of the fish come from breeders. The majority of all the fish come from large scale wholesalers in FL. What was said about each individual store varying, is absolutely right. The staff at particular locations, are much better than others.

AdamsZoological is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:36 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipz
gerbers doesn't sell brackish fish...? or are they just not on their site
If your talking about the gerbers in Dayton. They do. I used to buy from them all the time when I had a brackish tank. Now I hardly buy from them at all because of some bad experinces with them. I now goto Jacks in Huber or petland in Piqua.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to FeedingFrenzy20
what bad experiences have u had at gerbers. i know for a fact taht petland in piqua gets most of thier fish from gerbers from talking with the lady that works in the fish. last time i was at petland most of their fish looked pretty sick.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

gerbers steered me all wrong on setting up my tank. They told me that they could sell me everything to set up a 75 gal sw (live sand, lr, & sw) for $200.00. So when I go down the next day after draining and cleaning my 75 to buy the 40 lbs agronite, 40 live sand, and the 75 lbs live rock ( i mixed my own sw) the guy I talked to the day before proceeds to tell me that he couldn't sell me all that for $200 like he said the day before, After a little discussion about the price and what he told me he tried to tell me that he meant it would be $200 just for the lr. Which I then asked if he was going to sell me 75 lbs or lr for $200 and then he backed out of that. So all I walked away with from them was 80 lbs of sand. If I would have known it was going to cost me as much as it did I would have never gone sw, i would have stayed with my brackish that I had for 5 years.

My sister has been fighting over a nano cube that they sold her about 2 weeks ago. It had a faulty ballast in it when she got it home, she called and they told her that they would not replace the nano cube and that she had to bring the hood down and that they would fix it. She went down and had it fixed an then 1 week later it goes out again and she had to "cause a scene" to get a new hood for it. They wanted to fix it again. That cube was only 1 week old.

Yea petlands tanks look nasty right now Rob told me that gerbers sold them 700lbs of "cured" live rock and when they recived he shipment it ended up not being cured and it realoly thru their system outta wack. I like petland alot (I try to deal with Rob). I'm going to have to wait awhile before I buy anymore fish anyways.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:11 PM   #16

o well thats not good. i have had really good experience with gerbers so far and they helped steer me in the right direction to set my tank up. have u ever checked out marine solutions. its in waynesville. not a large selection of fish but a really nice store but is a nice trip. i am from troy as well and it stinks that there is no stores closer wit the kind of selection like gerbers has.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:06 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea i know. I did hear a rumor that there was going to be Jacks somewhere by walmart. I'm pleased with gerbers fish selection but I just have a problem with that one salesman. Honestly though Jack's prices are cheaper than gerbers.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:42 PM   #18

i just think the people at gerbers know more about the fish than people at jacks and have really gotten to know the people that work there and are very helpful.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:41 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitche8359
I was going to Jack's for a while. That's where I actually bought my 55 gal set up. The one near us has sort of gone down hill. Dirty, not really taking care of the tanks. I found Aquarium Adventure up off Sawmill and have been going there for fish.
not that i think you guys exist anymore, but you went all the way to jacks in toledo to get fish? and you live in columbus?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Has anyone bought one of their saltwater pro kits with the aquarium when buying one at jacks? It comes with filter, live sand etc etc, the 55 gal with stand was a bit less than $650 I believe. Are these good deals for their saltwater kits or is it best just to price out other places ( online / other pet stores etc). I use to live in Columbus, but now in Findlay and my choices are limited to Pet supplies plus and jacks when I'm up here. I am in Cols. often ( and miss aquarium adventure!) but I wouldnt want to buy a fish from there and subject it to an hour and a half in a car. anyway.. are the saltwater kits worth it when starting up?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com