Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest & the Dakotas
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
Anyone here go to Jack's Aquarium and Pets?

Hi all. I'm not sure I'll even get a response as this seems to be a somewhat dead forum... but I was wondering if any of you Ohioans go to Jack's Aquarium and Pets? They seem to be centralized around Columbus and Dayton. So if you aren't near there, you most likely haven't heard of them. It's a company owned by husband and wife, but they have 15-20 stores.

Anyways I was just wondering what everyone's experience has been with them. I've been to 6 different stores, 3 in columbus, 1 in springfield, 2 in dayton. Every single one seems to be different. Some have amazing setups, with the best looking fish you have seen, and some, half their tanks have dead fish floating in them, and are being treated for 1 thing or another. I have asked and they all get their fish from the same place in Dayton... so just how the employees are taking care of them I suppose.

-brent

Old 04-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to coldsteel Send a message via MSN to coldsteel
awesome store, they all seem to be pretty good around here

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=70
coldsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to coldsteel Send a message via MSN to coldsteel
oh, by the way, they are mostly in ohio. I believe there are 2 in kentucky, and one in like orlando, florida or something. I go to the one on colerain ave. (near cincinnati) It does seem like some stores are maintained better than others though; I have also been to the one in tri-county, and it was not nearly as good. I do know that they are packed with customers on the weekends tho, and the employees seem to have at least some knowledge of what they are talking about unlike some bigger stores.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=70
coldsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
I was going to Jack's for a while. That's where I actually bought my 55 gal set up. The one near us has sort of gone down hill. Dirty, not really taking care of the tanks. I found Aquarium Adventure up off Sawmill and have been going there for fish.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
mitche8359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I go to three different Jack's locations, depending on what part of town I'm in. It depends on the day as to how the tanks look. Sometimes they are spotless -- other times, there are floaters everywhere. I do wish I had other options, but Petsmart doesn't have near the selection that Jack's has.

Does Jack's get their fish from Gerbers?
Old 09-23-2004, 03:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All Jack's get their fish from a breeder in Cincinnati.

That's all I know. haha. I don't know who it is or anything, but that's what I was told.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

hey, i used to work at jack's (a long time ago). they don't even compare to gerbers. i am always cautious when i buy live stock from jacks.

if you guys are interested check out our web site www.cincyreef.com its pretty cool and a lot of knowledgable people that live in our area
Old 09-24-2004, 12:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

gerbers doesn't sell brackish fish...? or are they just not on their site
Old 09-25-2004, 04:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

i'm pretty sure they do, i think i've seen monos and puffers...i think.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

i usually go to jacks at millrun, it being 5 minutes away and all or aquarium adventures. earlier this week i visited most of the aquarium stores i know of just to see their stock. my trip: aquarium adventures => petsmart sawmill => jacks millrun => petsmart hilliard-rome => petland broad st => jacks broad st. i skipped petco on sawmill, ive never purchased anything from there. the petsmart on sawmill has less selection than the one on hilliard-rome, but seemingly more knowledgable staff. the jacks at millrun i also found to be superior to broad. petland didnt carry much but i was suprised they had titanium ebo heaters. i still love aquarium adventures. i became a member of their discount program. $50 lifetime membership. 25% off all fish and plants. so anyone into salt water would be wise to join. $200 in fish (which could just be one at the rate marine fish go for) it pays for itself. hope any of this was worth reading!

10g: 7 cardinal tetras, 7 black neon tetras, 5 pygmy cories
10g: 3 leopard geckos
a yellow lab, a bichon frise, and a grey tabby cat
Centurion is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com