Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest & the Dakotas
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2005, 11:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

werd, Fish World seems to try harder and they have better water quality. I bought my percs from there. I just wish he'd make the store a bit more up-to-date and have a bigger SW selection. He really doesn't have much for SW stuff.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:29 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I still shop for various snails, and crabs at Fish Store, simply because they have a selection. Otherwise, I stick to Fish World. They give me store credit for fish and low light plants, and chaeto....Fish Store won't even take my plants for FREE, let alone store credit.
The 30'ish guy at fish store is the owner, and does know his stuff. Heaven help you if you walk in, and only attractive girls are working. They're girlfriends to the other employees, and know as much about fish as I know about giving someone a perm.

Funny thing is, John the owner of Fish World, used to work at Fish Store many many many moons ago when the original owner ran Store.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:56 PM   #13

I actually just purchased a blue crayfish from Fish Store. The owner was there, very helpful as always. But I would bet 80% of the fish tanks there have Ich.

I'm going to Fish World tonight sometime; haven't been there for about a month. They are the only place in Lincoln I have ever found Kuhli loaches that look like they're supposed to -- alternating black and orange stripes. It seems everywhere else can only get in the solid black Kuhlis.

You know what I like about Fish World? Their location is more... cozy. The place isn't crowded, plenty of parking, no hoards of cars to contend with when trying to leave.

Malkore, what sort of plants do you try to give up? I'm the world's worst aquascaper but love the look of live plants (I have some crypts and some cool plant I don't know the name of). I have one of those 75 gallon bowfront tanks. Advice always welcome. BTW, I took all the carbon out of my canister.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:57 PM   #14

Just back from Fish World. As usual, all the fish look great, no sign of disease anywhere.
Most of the stock was typical and I ended up not buying anything. They do have some Gold Rams, which I hardly ever see anywhere (online or otherwise), but at $10.99 each I had to pass for now. Loads of baby neon tetras for 79 cents each.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:13 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I usually bring in handfulls of mature java ferns to fish world, because I know they'll survive long enough to get purchased, adn that they should survive in the customers tank as well.

speaking of which, if you need/want java ferns, let me know. I have a 'wad' I need to get rid of. If you live in lincoln, I'll deliver (another excuse to ride my Ninja).

Just PM me if you want any.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bellevue Pet Center is closed. I went up to Omaha yesterday to putt around and do whatever. I tried stopping by Aqua Pets but they were closed for MLK day. THen we found out that Bellevue Pet Center has closed their doors permanentally. Then we tried finding Paradise Pets but had difficulty finding it after stopping for directions. So I ended up not getting to any fish stores while i was up there but oh well.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pph_2ppr
Just looking through old threads and was wondering if anyone knew the price of live rock at fish world. Do they also sell live sand and base rock?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Does anyone know were to find the best selection of fish tank stands in omaha ne? I need one for a 29 gal.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

just thought an update was in order there is a newish fish store in Lincoln on the south side around 11th and arapaho in indian village its a small store with a fair selection from time to time. I still like fish world and have not stepped in fish store 3 times in the past 4 years.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm in Omaha & it's a sad state of affairs here these days. A year or two ago Pet World in Millard had a husband/wife couple who managed the fish area & they did a wonderful job. The tanks were well-kept & the fish healthy. They had nice stock at reasonable prices ad were really developing a following.

They had awesome discus there, too. There's a BIG difference between discus with a little d and Discus with a big D. You can find discus in Omaha stores - but pricy & often low quality. Ever since they left, though....not so hot.

Honestly from what's left I probably go to Aqua Pets most often - and that's maybe every other month. And MANY of the 'fish geeks' I know in the area are in the same boat. That's one of the main reasons I started bringin fish in, quarentining them, & selling them myself.

As far as Lincoln goes - I've never really shopped there, but I have a buddy who likes The Fish Store quite a bit. I'd venture to say just based on what we (don't) have here - that Lincoln has to be better than Omaha.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com