Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest & the Dakotas
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2004, 01:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good fish stores in Nebraska

Omaha
Aqua Pets Located on 108th and Maple It doesn't have a huge selection but it does have a pretty large selection and they will order fish for you at no extra charge. It is a clean store and the guy who works there is ubber friendly and very knowledgable.

Bellevue Pet Center off of 370 and Galvin Road I haven't been here but I have been told that they have a great selection of fish and will order fish at no extra cost.

Please feel free to add stores in your area!

Megalofyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

all we have for tanks right now is salt water but we make it up to omaha atleast once every two weeks if not weekly, aqua pets is our favorite, bellevue used to be great but seem to be slipping a little, another great store in omaha is pet world. down here in lincoln I would have to say the fish store is top notch barely trailing would be fish world either will take time to help you in any way they can.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:24 AM   #3

In Lincoln:

My favorite LFS is The Fish Store, just north of 48th and Vine. It's certainly not the biggest shop but they seem to handle their fish well and stock some unusual specimens from time to time.

Someone mentioned Fish World -- is that the one on Cotner and A in the Piedmont shops? I made my first, and last, visit there a couple weeks ago. They do have some unusual specimens too, but the tanks were poorly kept. I saw several tanks of Ich (oh yeah, there was fish in those tanks, too), dead fish, suffering fish, etc. They did have Bleeding Heart Tetras which I haven't seen for awhile.

The south Petco location, 56th and Hwy 2, is kept up nicely. The other location on O Street... not so much.

Petsmart has a decent selection and is kept up well too. I go there mostly for aquatic supplies more than I do fish.

There's a Pet Ark (or something like that) on 27th and Superior. TERRIBLE store. Every animal in there - fish, cats, birds especially - seem sick and don't present well.

I'll have to check out Aqua Pets next time I'm in Omaha.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't like the petco on Dodge in Omaha.. and since the fish store I do like is miles and miles away I find I now frequent petsmart for my fish needs.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:50 PM   #5

Based on the enthusiastic advice here, I am making a special trip to Omaha tomorrow to visit Aqua Pets. I may also drop by the Bellevue Pet Center since Bellevue is where I grew up -- I'm feeling nostalgic and want to check out all my old stomping grounds
Old 12-14-2004, 12:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aqua pets i did like quite a bit .. it's just so far away.. PetOmine sucks like no other.. and it's in a shady part of town..
Old 12-14-2004, 07:36 PM   #7

As stated, I visited Aqua Pets today. Truth be told, I was not impressed at all, at least in the freshwater department. They do have a good selection of saltwater fish. I also felt they were very lacking in the aquatic supplies. No Fluval media? The whole place had a very disorganized, or organized chaos, feel to it.

I did not get down to Bellevue.

Based on what I saw, if you like Aqua Pets you are going to LOVE The Fish Store in Lincoln. Same type of super-knowledgeable people, many more supplies, a similar selection of saltwater fishes, and more freshwater fish. And they tend to have unusual/rare specimens.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I"ll have to make a field trip sometime to go check out that pet store.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i bought a Koran Angel from The Fish Store and it got Ich pretty much the day after i bought it. Not for sure if he got infected before or after i bought him but i put him in a qt tank and administered hypo. He ended up dieing cause this guardian heater i bought from Petco went bizerk and cooked him to death. But the suspicion remains that the fish may have been infested with c. irritans already before i purchased it. The one other thing i don't like so much about the fish store is a few of the people that work there are rude at times. I've asked a question before and recieved a reponse that made me not want to ask another question. Some of those guys aren't the friendliest and seemed to be quite annoyed with inquisitive customers. Aside from the crammed space in there, i don't have any other problems with them. Unfortunatly, Lincoln really doesn't have any other real SW fish stores so The Fish Store sort of has the corner on the market.

I do most of my supply shopping online. Sometimes i'll get something from the lfs though. Just depends. I need to check out aqua pets in omaha though.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:12 PM   #10

Yes, the Fish Store has really gone downhill in the last year. Almost all the tanks are Ich-ridden, and even if they do not look like it, consider that the staff there just use the same nets in multiple tanks. And yes, the help there has become total CRAP. There's one guy, probably in his 30s, that really knows his stuff and is very helpful. I often wonder if he is the owner. He is usually there on weekdays in the early hours. Evenings and weekends are just terrible, though -- bunch of punk kids who act like they don't have the time of day for you and are disrespectful. I remember one guy was sitting on the counter reading magazines, and he didn't even move when another guy was ringing up my total.

Conversely, Fish World (Cotner) has become quite excellent. I haven't seen any Ich in there for a long time. It's a nice, quiet store with very helpful staff. I'd go there any day before stepping foot in Fish Store now.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com