Iowans Come Fourth!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pleasant Hill (suburb of Des Moines). Soon moving to Iowa City.

On a side note, anyone know when Petco does there $1 per gallon tank sale next in the great state of IA? Not sure when the chain typically do that event.

What is GIRS? And, I'm not sure about Petco. Do they sell anything over 75g for $1 a gallon. I'd like a 125, or maybe order a 200gal acrylic that is shallower

Pleasant Hill (suburb of Des Moines). Soon moving to Iowa City.

On a side note, anyone know when Petco does there $1 per gallon tank sale next in the great state of IA? Not sure when the chain typically do that event.

That is usually 2-3 times/yr and you just have to watch for announcements. Usually someone on GIRS posts when it happens.

Really. I haven't had a reef tank yet. I'm setting up a new 125 right now with dual corner overflows. Debating on building a stand or buying a metal dual 125 stand from a guy in Iowa city. I'd like to make it a planted fresh water community tank, or put a mud puppy in it with feeder fish. Just last week I started reading up on saltwater. A tank that big I feel I would waste its potential with freshwater like I have always had. I also have a 76 gal. Freshwater right now

Reef keeping isn't all that difficult. IMO FW planted was more of a pain. I like both but algae scrubbers work great in SW (FW too just differently) and that takes a huge edge off PWCs. 125 is a great size. I think it would be cool to have FW and SW side by side. Also the DIY tank stand thread on RC is fab if you want to make your own. I also know a guy in N Liberty who builds stands and finish wraps for really good prices.

I built and finished my 75 gallon stand. I could do the same with my 125. I also have family in New Hampshire that can get the salt for a lot cheaper than here in Iowa. Most likely the crushed coral and sand substrates I could get a good deal on if they shipped it to me too. I might try it out. I have a nice new wet/dry filter with 1200 gph pump. I actually have everything I need except salt water substrate, salt, protein skimmer, hydrometer, and the experience

What are you paying for salt that you need to get it shipped from New England to get better prices?? Reef crystals at Clowns & Corals in Washburn gets it by the pallet. Or DR F&S is cheap every day

Back
Top Bottom