LFS in West Houston TX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sghill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wonder if anybody can recommend a good LFS on the West side of Houston. I'm looking to get some Live Rock and Sand.

Regards,

Stan

I live in Katy, and sadly, there are NONE out here. We go to Fishland on Westhiemer (281-497-3474), just past Eldridge. They have LR, you can get it by the box. I got 2 48lb boxes for 159.00 each. Really not too bad a deal... ends up about $3.30 a lb no shipping, no waiting. The do have some that is curing, but has only been in there a month or so, and is covered in diatoms.

The fish store in general is pretty knowledgeable, they just don't offer info to folks that are clueless, they are a fish store after all. (Last time I went in there they sold the 2nd mandarin to a lady that had her tank up for 2 weeks!!!) If you ask intelligent questions, and sound like you know what they are talking about.. they will talk shop with you.

Don't go to buy fish on the weekends, they are pretty small, and are usually picked clean by then. Their stock comes in on Mondays, so Thurs or Friday might be a good time to go look what they have.

We went to City Pets on Beechnut and the Beltway last weekend, I'm not sure how I feel about them yet. They have lots of corals, but are generally very busy, service and info suffers a bit.

Let us know how it went!

Also check Aquarium World, south side of 290 around Fairbanks, look for the NTB store and turn into that shopping center. They have nice tanks and I rarely see dead fish. They have a nice selection of SW and FW fish.

I like to LOOK at Aquarium World... their prices aren't competitive, and rather high, IMO. Some of the employees are very knowledgable, but will sell you the shirt off their backs and socks out of thier drawers before telling you your options... (before finding this site, I got my 90g bowfront from them, with a trickle filter that they said I ABSOLUTELY had to have... now.. Im stuck with it for a while, along with my not so friently nitrates)

The prices on thier fish are sometimes 3x what other fish stores have. They are a clean store, nice clean tanks, and healthy fish... Im just gonna shop around before heading out there...

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to check these stores out.

Regards,
Stan

Back
Top Bottom