lfs near or in Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok guys im from Chicago by sox park I go to living seas can someone tell me some other good shops to go to thanks I dont have anything to compair living seas too I did go to oldtown fish store and i did not think much of it thanks Jester

have ya gone to scotts pet shop its like wolf and harlem by brookfield zoo?? not bad nothing like livin aquarium though prices are better for sure !!

LFS

I just found one on Irving Park Rd, it is called ocean design aquarium 6500 W. Irving Park Rd in Dunning Square Shopping Ctr.
Hope this helps.

I just went to Living Seas and it beats the pants off everything. By the way, they are having an intro to Salt class next Tuesday from 6:30-8:30 for $10 (but you get a $10 store credit) and advanced Salt the following. Anyone interested can sign up at the shop. See you there.

Old Town has some nice stuff, but their prices are high. They do have some good sales from time to time.

yes i have to agree living sea`s is great thats where I got my tank but they are not cheap but very good service my tank was $3000 but they came and set up my tank for me and they give me free water test and they are very helpfull here is another lfs i have not been there yet but im going to go soon thanks RodneyCK

Hello Jester,

I read your post in the Illinois forum about Chicago fish stores, but for some reasons I do not have posting privileges to the regional forums. I moved to San Francisco from Chicago about 5 years ago. I use to scour Chicago visiting every pet shop large and small when I lived there, LOL.

The one in Old Town was the prettiest but as other members have posted, also one of the most expensive. The one that sticks in my mind for good fish and best prices was on North Clark Street, farther North than Wriggly, and from the yellow pages there is only one listed so this must be it.

Chicago Aquarium & Pond, 5028 N. Clark St.

If it is still the same people running it, they were more the hobbyist types willing to special order and give you good advice and prices.

I hope that helps.

Best,
RodneyCK

P/S, feel free to post the above in your thread in the event someone else is interested.

Well, I just joined and decided to give my 2 cents on lfs that I frequent. I'll also say Living Sea in Park Ridge is a nice shop. People are friendly but prices aren't cheap. Another of my favorites is Old Orchard Aquarium (used to be Sea Shell Pet Shop) in Skokie. This shop is also NOT cheap but has one of the best selections I've seen for corals and SW/FW fish. People are friendly and very knowledgeable. I get my RO and tanks drilled at Sho Tank in Mundelein, friendly and knowledgeable staff. As for tanks, hands down the BEST place to purchase your tanks is at Aquatic World in Oconomowoc, WI. Now it may be a drive for some of you but they're prices and selection are second to none! You can visit them at http://www.aquaticworld.net and just remember they have TWO menu areas that have aquariums and stands! I also go to Fishy Business in Kenosha. They have a selection of corals and SW/FW fish but are know for their grade AAA+ live rock. They are friendly and curteous. Well, there's my lfs review. So, if you have any questions about them or others in the area just ask, I might know the answer :wink:

Almost forgot to mention "Something Fishy 2" in Fox Lake. They are expanding their store so may or may not be fully stocked, but they usually have a great selection of Corals and SW/FW fish.

I use Oldtown, it is expensive but convenient for me living right downtown. I hear good things about living sea but do not have a car to check it out. I want to check it out, my friend goes there allot.

Back
Top Bottom