Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest & the Dakotas
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

LFS recommendation in northeastern WI?

I did a search, but everything I found was at least 2 years old, and knowing what a big difference a change in management or staff can make, I'm hoping to get some more current recs. Something in Appleton/Neenah/Menasha would be great. Thanks

Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh I would like to know this as well! I will range happily anywhere from the Green Bay area down to Appleton

Thanks

-Andy

Did you vote for AA today?!
FWaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh hey I was meaning to tell you, I just found one the other day. It is a truly amazing store! If I remember correctly it was called Advanced Aquarium Systems. It is an amazing store, it is really big and if I remember correctly, they have quite an extensive collection of freshwater fish. Their saltwater, on the other hand, is small and limited to one room, but it has alot of tanks! The person that I met there was really friendly. I even asked for a job application! Wish me luck on that! It has always been my dream to work in a fish store! I hope this helps you though, and sorry mods about the double post!

EDIT**
I forgot to mention, there is a lot of construction on the way down to that store, I was scared driving over there cause it was so confusing! But on my way back, I had no troubles at all! If you know the Green Bay area, then I could help you out! What I did was, I went onto Lime Kiln Road, drive past the Copps and Target mini-strip mall thing, keep driving down Lime Kiln and you should pass Packerland Meat Packing Co., Once again, keep on driving. You'll end up at an intersection of East Mason Street and Lime Kiln, once again stay on Lime Kiln. Shortly after passing East Mason, you make a left at the next intersection on Main Street. Stay on Main Street for quite a while. There is alot of construction in that area so I would just keep my eyes peeled if I were you. Keep driving on Main Street and you'll go across the bridge. After the bridge you should come up to the intersection of Main and Broadway. Make a left onto Broadway and it is right there on your right. There is no parking lot, so you'll have to park on the side of the road, at least I didn't see a parking lot. I really hope this helps you!
Did you vote for AA today?!
FWaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hey thanks! I'll check it out next time I get up to GB. Good luck on the job application. Let us know how it goes.

I haven't had much luck finding a place in the valley. I stopped at Just Pets this weekend. It was ok. They had a good selection with some really unusual fish, prices were reasonable, but the store was kind of dirty and very cramped, there were a number of dead fish in the tanks, and the person I talked to wasn't very helpful. Of course other employees might be better, and they were pretty busy. Overall I wasn't impressed, but I'd give them another chance. Aquatic Imports is supposed to be very good, but they're SW only. There's a plce called The Reefs and I don't know what the deal is with them. When I try calling during what should be normal business hours, there's no answer. I was in the area after hours so I drove by, and the place was a mess- boxes all over, etc., like they're either just opening or just closing or maybe moving? If I figure out what's going on I'll update. There's a shop in Oshkosh that I want to check out as well, but they have weird hours so it's going to be difficult. So, all that to say that I ended up buying my daughter guppies at Petsmart. As big chain stores go, this Petsmart is ok. Fish seemed healthy for the most part, and the girl we worked with was helpful, knowledgeable, and seemed to really care about what happened to the fish when they left.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Here are some:
Fish Store Review dot com - Local Fish Stores and Aquarium Shops in Wisconsin Beloit Cudahy Delavan Eau Claire Lake Geneva Madison Mauston Milwaukee Mukwonago Oconomowoc Platteville Port Washington Prairie Du Sac Racine Waukesha Waupaca West Bend

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Advance Aquarium has been there for years. At times they do seem to keep "odd" hours, so it might be helpful to call and make sure they are open if you are coming from Appleton. I just heard about a fairly new place in the Appleton area, but dont know the name of it. Its a older guy who has had saltwater for the past 35-40 years..he was originally in the Green Bay area but lost his lease on the buliding and relocated in Appleton. I do know his 2 employes did opening a "new" place in GB, but dont have saltwater.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com