Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest & the Dakotas
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete View Post
Originally from NEO, got into the hobby with Two Turtles. Now I live in Columbus, I am currently attending The Ohio State University. Go Bucks!
That wouldn't happen to be Two Turtles on Market St. in Akron, would it??? Bought my first parrot & first snake from them back '89 while at U of A.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #92
Aquarium Advice Newbie

located about an hour northeast of Columbus here.

Anyone going to NANFA 9/13-16?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #93
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinecarney
located about an hour northeast of Columbus here.

Anyone going to NANFA 9/13-16?
What is NANFA and where is it? Link?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #94
Aquarium Advice Newbie

NANFA is the North American Native Fishes Assn. Their national convention runs Sept 13-16 at Salt Fork (north of Cambridge) and includes speakers, banquet and auction, and multiple collecting trips. The emphasis is on native fishes and the ecosystems their found in.

I don't have the link or convention info in front of me, but it's on the NANFA website, and they're still accepting registrations. I've looked at the speaker list, and some of the "heavy hitters" in the hobby are on the schedule. Also, given the variety of collecting locales (and thus ecosystems sampled), it should be a great opportunity to see the diversity that's in Ohio waters.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #95

Thanks for the info, sounds like fun. Just saw your response.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I plan to be at NANFA on Friday, September 14th and Sunday the 16th. I think they're still accepting registrations....

Just spent yesterday at the GCKA picnic/collecting trip in Cinci on the Whitewater River, water higher and more turbid than usual due to the rains over the weekend, so our fish totals/species counts were down. Still plenty of darters (rainbow and greenside, mostly juvies), minnows (spotfin and bigeye shiners and others), suckers (juvenile northern?), madtoms (stonecats and what was either a brindled or northern), blue or channel cat (juvie), tadpoles (green or leopard frog?), juvie cricket frogs, crayfish, and hellgrammites.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hello OHIO! I live in Westlake and work in Parma Heights. Freshwater here, been shopping at Pet's General in Lakewood and RMS Aquaculture in Middleburg Heights. Any other can't miss stores in this area?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellie
Hello OHIO! I live in Westlake and work in Parma Heights. Freshwater here, been shopping at Pet's General in Lakewood and RMS Aquaculture in Middleburg Heights. Any other can't miss stores in this area?
Yes. Something Fishy on State Rd. just north of 480. Limited hours but an awesome selection and high quality. Dave knows his stuff. They have website so check there for his hours.

Guess I should add that I am from Chardon.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #99

Strongsville here. There is a great place in valley city called aquatica...they are open thurs, fri 12-8 and sat, sun 12-5. Great store, very large cichlids selection as well as saltwater
Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Two Turtles in Akron has freshwater nano fish! They have cpds and signifiers...possibly others. I definitely saw those two.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com