Starting new tank with existing tanks water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hjs7910

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I have a 50 gal freshwater tank and will be buying a second 55 gal tank tomorrow. Would it speed up the cycle process using water from the existing tank? The existing tank has a lot of fish so we usually do a 40% water change. If we used that 40% plus 60% new water, how long should we wait before moving our fish in there?

You could take the filter cartridge from the established tank, and put it in with a new cartridge in the new tank filter. So it speeds up the process of cycling the new tank. But you have to have an ammonia source in the new tank, or it won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

moving a hand full of items that are wet inside the tank will speed up cycle plants decor bowl of gravel etc etc

The water will help but only slightly. I raise a lot of crayfish so I have hundreds of 4"-6" PVC pipe sections. I typically toss 6-8 in a new tank and if possible place one in the media. The tank should cycle in two weeks if you do that or put a large sponge filter in the old tank for a month then move to the new tank for a month.

Back
Top Bottom