Tropical Play Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkness

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Anyone know where I can get some Tropical Play Sand (Dry Argonite Sand) in Nebraska?

I'd rather not have to buy the expensive LS from the LFS.
Thanks.

good luck dude. I went over Lincoln with a fine tooth comb looking for that stuff for the same reasons you cited. Ironically, the closest thing i found was at wal-mart. Unfortunately, it failed the vinegar test. So i gave up and ordered from the Dr.'s Foster & Smith. It turned out it was cheaper for me to have the argamax sand shipped straight to me. Both LFS's in Lincoln wouldn't match their price.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7321&ref=3532&subref=AT&N=2004+113553

I ended up spending more than i wanted to on sand, but i'm glad i did what i did. The sand looks great and my inverts love it. Plus, i ended up with a DSB to my suprise (my calculations were off) and i'm already starting to see nitrate pockets in the lower levels of the sand. HTH

It's very much a regional sand. Since our quarries in the part of the country don't produce aragonite sand, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards...none of them carry the right 'tropical' playsand.

As zenn says, Aragamax sand is good, but spendy...still it's far from the most expensive thing you'll buy for your marine tank.

I strongly urge you not to use plain silica playsand. I used this in a FW tank, and it compacts way too much to be healthy for the tank.

Back
Top Bottom