Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest & the Dakotas
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2003, 09:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
hey where is that store in Champaign-Urbana because i go to school in Bloomington-Normal and thats like 25 minutes away. i would love to come over and check them out. i would be coming from 74 so if you could tell me kinda where it is located i might come over this weekend.

Old 02-19-2003, 11:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

St. Louis LFS

Hi I am new here I have been on reefcentral for about 10 months but now kyle turned me here and it is good to see so many locals in one place. My LFS preferences usually head me to St. Louis. I never go to Highland(high prices, bad service,and an owner who thinks he knows everything) I have been to Slice of Nature nice place but a bit out of the way for me. I go to Edwardsville quite a bit Family Pet Center, and Midwest Marine. FPC is run by David and Mary they have very good prices on fish, and they will have corals in a few months. I got a blue starfish for 19.99 the other day, and they have purple tangs for $48.00! MWM is new Chris is the owner and a nice guy the prices are a little steep but they have healthy animals and a new coral tank it is good in a pinch. I really like going to Clayton Pet Emporium, and Saltwater City(also in Clayton) has a very nice selection. Also gives breaks if you pay in cash. Try'em You'll Like Em

Old 02-19-2003, 11:47 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Welcome Josh, and thanks for sharing your views on LFS in the area.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:23 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah i got my tang there at family pet center. good people. they are currently cleaning up there place.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:45 PM   #15

kribbz - If your coming in on 74, go into town and take the Neil St. exit. It's the 2nd one coming from the west. Go right and follow it through downtown. You'll go through a one-way area for a couple of blocks. That's downtown. Once you go back to 4 lanes, stay in the left lane. Once you go through the light for Springfield Ave, start looking to the left. It's down almost another block. It's in a 2 story building, and not highly publisized. Look for a black sign on the side of the building. There is a very large smoke stack on the same side of the road very near The Sailfin. If you get mis-guided, the phone number for them is 217-352-1121.

Hope you find it. All the corals are in the tanks on the bottom. They probably have 30 smallish tanks dedicated to marine. They also have a few nice nanos set up. Please report on how it was for you.
reefer_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 10:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

will do
Old 02-21-2003, 10:59 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to jblitz99
i reqularly frequent aquatic treasures in Highland IL, a wonderful store with verry knowledgeable staff, a great place!!!!LOL.
(I really do go there, but its kind of like you have to block out what your being told and make a good decision on your own)
Old 02-22-2003, 10:56 AM   #18

jblitz99 you don't care about the elevated prices there?
Old 02-22-2003, 01:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to jblitz99
to tell you the truth i really dont see where his prices are elevated, as compared to what? his corals are usually awesome, the larger ones can cost a little more, but they would anywhere else as well. smaller corals might run you a little more there though. I went to the new store in edwardsville and i thought they were really expensive compared to velco. ive also went to the other store in edwardsville, family pet center, and i dont think id even bother going back to it. so for the location, about 10min from me ill just stick to aquatic treasures. dean at slice of nature is cool to though, its just a little bit of a drive for me.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:10 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hey bill i went to check out Salfin today and it was really nice. i will definatly go there again. they had alot of livestock (mostly full size fish), good prices on their tanks, and a good selection of drystock. overall pretty good prices and also the staff asked me if I needed help like 5 times. nice people. i would recommend this store to anyone in the area.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com