Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest & the Dakotas
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2003, 08:19 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
What LFS do you use?

I use Slice of Nature Pets on Gallatin St. in Vandalia IL. I would recommend this store to anyone. How bout you guys?

Old 02-13-2003, 01:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to aimeovaldi
Same for me. SLice of Nature is the only store I buy livestock from. Dean is great.

Old 02-13-2003, 04:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
Southern Illinois LFS's

I would like to share a recent experience with all you local reefers about an LFS in our area. The name is "Aquatic Treasures." It is located in Highland, Illinois. Now i have been visiting this store for the better part of a year. the first six months of which i had never been to another LFS before so i had nothing to compare it to. Since i have been going there i have had many instances when i have received somewhat less than par advice/customer service. the first instance was before i met you all here on aquarium advice. i was looking to add an urchin to my tank and was unaware at which ones were reefsafe. so i did what any newb would do and went to the LFS. the owner told me that a pencil urchin would do great and was one of the few urchins that were reefsafe. so i bought it, took it home and put it in. a few weeks later nearly all my coralline algae was gone and some corals. i noticed that it was the urchin so i removed him and went back to the LFS. the same guy that told me it was reef safe no renigged and said that they were not reefsafe and that i had no business putting an urchin like this in my tank. he also went as far as to say he never told me it was ok to put in a reeftank. he gave me 5 feeder goldfish as compensation for the urchin and the trouble it caused. so i said ok one mistake fine i can get over that. then 2 weeks ago i had some problems with a skimmer fitting in my sump and decided i would go check them out. to make a long story short he had a skimmer that he said would work, but it didn't. It would have had to have been adjusted 24 hours a day 7 days a week in order to operate correctly. so again i took it back and he said he would not refund me for the skimmer becasue they don't do returns. now i had had the skimmer running for a total of about 30 hours. then i saw a sign on there door that says return on dry goods, in store credit only. so after going back and forth he said he would give me in store credit but he was not happy about it. a few days later my mother goes in there to purchase some water and he says that the skimmer did not work because he had forgotten to give me a part and so he wasn't going to give me store credit. now i'm supposed to go back up there and TALK to him about it after i have already purchased a new skimmer. i'm sorry that this thread was so lengthy but i just thought that it would be a good thing to let you all know " that i was very unhappy with the customer service that i recieved." if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. there are more details but i didn't want this thread to go on forever.
kyle

This topic was merged with another topic in the same forum.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

now i go to dean at "slice of nature". they are the best there
Old 02-13-2003, 03:27 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I have also recieved bad customer service from Aquatic Treasures in Highland. I no longer visit this store.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to aimeovaldi
When you find an ethical and honest LFS, Keep them closer than a brother. They seem to be few and far between. SLICE OF Nis great and Dean is awesome. He really cares about his customers and the hobby.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hey mike does Dean have a computer. you should see if he would like to register on Aquarium Advice. i'm sure he would like to hear all the nice things we are saying about him.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:52 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I tryed to get him to register but unfortunatly he does not have a computer. i would just recommend to people to let Dean know that you heard good things about him on www.aquariumadvice.com, then in turn I'm sure he would recommend the site to other customers.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:03 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Does anyone else have a different LFS they would like to share experiences on?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I don't know how far you guys are willing to go, but up here in Champaign-Urbana, we have 1 decent store. Sailfin is the place around here. The prices somewhat reflect their corner on the market, but the animal health and corals are all outstanding. I've traded there a few times for store credit, and they are very fair on their credits. If anyone decides to venture up this way, give me a holler and I can meet you there.

reefer_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com