Anyone belong to SVAS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr_girlfriend

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am thinking of going to their meeting tomorrow, just wondering if anyone else has been.

Tom Barr will be speaking tomorrow. It should be worth checking out. The man knows tons about plants. I have never been to a SVAS meeting. The only local group I belong to is sfbaaps (SF Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society) and I only joined that recently.

Oh. I will not be going to the SVAS meeting. I have other commitments. It sounds like it is going to be a good meeting. Tom Barr is going to talk about Natural Aquariums and Aquarium Plants. There is also going to be an auction.

Aw, to bad green fish! I made my husband say he'll go with me, so looks like I'll be going. :mrgreen: I really wanted to hear Tom Barr about plants, as I am thinking of doing a natural aquarium in my new 60 gallon (maybe). Or maybe set up another 10 gallon till I get comfortable.
So how is the sfbaaps? Good group? I've been looking for some groups to join.

SFBAAPS seems like a group of some really good people so far to me. I have yet to attend a "meeting". I joined the yahoo group a while back. I hear their plant swaps are awsome. If you are in to planted aquaria, it is worth looking in to. They are working hard right now to bring the AGA (Aquatic Gardeners Association) conference to the bay area. If they can pull it off, it would be sweet. Mr. Amano himself attended last year.

To join the SFBAAPS go to: http://www.sfbaaps.com/
To check out the AGA fo to: http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/

Yup! It was pretty good. Tom Barr spoke for about an hour and a half on the basics of planted aquaria, co2 and non-co2. I learned a few things about non-c02 tanks, but some of it I already knew. I met some nice people, and even won a bottle of Bio-Coat in the raffle.
The auction was awesome, but long. I got a 90 gallon tank for $30, a 20 gal tank w/ mag-float and brine shrimp hatchery set for $21, and 3 plants and 3 amano shrimps. If you want some cheap stuff, you should go to one of these auctions! Discus fish selling for waaayyy cheap, and other species for hardly anything. I think the most expensive thing was a 4-5 inch discus for $25. It was crazy cheap.

I know! :mrgreen:
I looked at sfbaaps website. Not a whole lot of information :? I think they need a new webmaster! If I can find out when their next meeting is, maybe I'll go check that out too.

I agree with you there. The sfbaaps website stinks. Most of the "action" takes place inside the yahoo group. I haven't seen anything for the month of April yet. This group is somewhat informal and loosely organized. A lot of energy of the group is looking in to the AGA conference right now so I am not sure if anything will happen this month. You should feel free to join the yahoo group. There is currently no membership dues being charged to join SFBAAPS so you could just check it out for free and leave if you change your mind.

Back
Top Bottom