Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Southwest & California
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

In some cases it's actual driftwood, or it's a hard wood species capable of being a driftwood (after being water logged and all). Something like manzanita is such an example. It's collected right off the tree, dried, in some cases sand blasted to remove the bark or what not. But point being, it's a hard wood known to not decompose in the water. Just have to be careful when using unknown wood, aside from pollutants, I've read some can have toxins usually kept for deterring insects and anything else that would like to munch on it.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok thanks!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

There's a place called ocean floor they have a ton of stuff for freshwater and saltwater that's a good place to go there website is www.oceanfloorstore.com
Old 09-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Went to aquatouch today. Was impressed how clean the whole store was tanks and all. Staff was busy with other people but they seemed nice. Lots of cool saltwater fish, corals and plants but not a lot of freshwater fish to chose from. Was at Ocean Floor Store yesterday. First impression it was dirty and unorganized but after walking around it wasnt as bad as it first looked. Lots of freshwater fish and good selection of equipment and stuff and the staff seemed nice and knowledgeable. I did find out they work on commission so if you go there and someone is really helpful make sure they check you out when you leave.

I havent made it to the fish place out in mesa as its kinda far but iam going to try and go there in the next few days and check it out. I wanna check out all my options and know who has what
Old 09-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

I live up in the White Mountains and have become very disenchanted with the only LFS we have up here... Are there any stores in the valley that if I were to buy fish from that would package them for the 4 hour drive for me to get them home?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grish View Post
I live up in the White Mountains and have become very disenchanted with the only LFS we have up here... Are there any stores in the valley that if I were to buy fish from that would package them for the 4 hour drive for me to get them home?
I dont know if they would package them somehow or if they have anything special they would do for you. Best bet would be to call them and ask them directly. Are you after saltwater or freshwater fish? If your after saltwater the store Aquatouch is a couple block away I could stop and talk to them for you and see what they have to offer but they dont have much for freshwater stuff there.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I don't think 4 hours is too much for a fish to handle in a bag full of air and water. I've purchased from Aquatouch and they double bag what you buy. Just make sure the ambient temperatures you're transporting the bag in isn't too hot or cold. You can also use an insulated cooler to keep the temps steady. Unless you're trying to transport the livestock in a non-air conditioned car in the AZ summer, then you'd have a problem. I think living in AZ, the prerequisite is having AC for most folks! LOL
Old 09-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

LOL I try to avoid the valley during the summer. Can't take the heat. My tanks are all FW and if I were to buy fish down there I had already planned on using a small styrofoam cooler to transport them in. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tucson here freshwater
Old 01-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hello Tucson!

Btw Arizona, in Flagstaff I found what so far appears to be a GREAT LFS! Salt and fresh, really competitive prices, good plants, knowledgeable ppl, AND in the same strip mall as a PetSmart!
Soon as I track down the business card I got, I'll pass it along!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com