Arizona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DJFam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hope this thread finds you well. I am a newer salt water aquarium hobbyist. Relatively new to this forum site as well; approximately 3 months. Started my tank back in mid/late June and things are continuing to go extremely well. I have yet to meet any other SW hobbyists in the Phoenix Metro area but would love to get a thread or some threads going!

Hey newbie here from Tucson, any good salt water fish and coral stores in Phoenix. I like the one here in tucson but its the only one in town and their selection runs out pretty fast.

Northwest Tucson here. Have a freshwater tank I set up around July. Totally addicted to this hobby now!

Tempe price and broadway, 20g and 2 10g freshwater tanks. Would love to get together and yak about my favoriet hobby. Fish are mollies, black, guppies, dwarf blue gorami, angel fish, tetras , green swords, platy's. Am a live bearer fan, but if it swims, I'm interested.

I'm in Queen Creek I am about to start my tank but still needing a stand and rock what I have now is.
55 gallon tank.
Zoo Med powersweep 228 power head x2
9W Coralife ultraviolet steralizer.
Fluva 405 canister filter.
Marineland magnum 350 canister filter.
Coralife skimer.
300W heater
Aquarium T5 HO hood.
Natures Ocean reef sand 40lb
Natures Ocean substrate.
Ocean Sun 10,000K bulb
Coral Sun Actinic 420 bulb.
Saltwater master test kit.
And a box of salt.

So I need a stand, rocks, mixing bucket and I think I will be up and running.

Sounds like you have it all under control, that's exciting when you're getting that close to being up and running. Keep me posted please. Maybe when you're going full tilt you might let me come over and see it, you can brag a little, and I'll be excited to see it.

Im in north phoenix and in the process of cycling my first ever tank. They always say go big or go home so I'm starting with a 150g freshwater. The biggest issue im having is findind decent decorations for it. No place I've gone carries much of a selection. Anyone have a recommendation on a local place that has a good selection of decor?

Im in north phoenix and in the process of cycling my first ever tank. They always say go big or go home so I'm starting with a 150g freshwater. The biggest issue im having is findind decent decorations for it. No place I've gone carries much of a selection. Anyone have a recommendation on a local place that has a good selection of decor?

I'm in north Scottsdale... my favorite LFS is AquaTouch, but I'm also into planted tanks so the decor there is either alive or natural stone and driftwood. The PetShop in Mesa has some really nice inexpensive Malaysian driftwood and stones too. I heard Aquarium Arts is a nice spot as well.

What kind of tank build are you thinking of doing (i.e. fish-only w/fake decor, planted, African cichlid, etc.)?

Since im just starting out I was going to start out with fish and fake decor. cichlids, loaches, barbs, and cory catfish Are what im concidering right now. maybe down the road try live plants. From reading diffrent forums the biggest issue I'm seeing with live plants is lighting. My tank is 30 inches tall and lighting to grow plants with water that deep get really expensive. I was thinking about driftwood since i could get some that are tall to take up space at the top of the tank so ill check out those places. Thanks.

That raises a question for me about driftwood. The driftwood that ppl use in the tanks it it ALWAYS actual driftwood? Or could it be say a branch or knurl that is off a tree? If so, does it have to be completely old a dried out? Would I have to do something to it to make it work?
I DO have a river a block or so away, so I could go scout for some, but do I need to worry about any small amounts of pollutants in the river? (There are a few homeless folks that camp out a bit upstream sometimes)

Back
Top Bottom