Arizona guy, freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tractorholic

Aquarium Advice Regular
Wow, in going thru the threads here, nothing from AZ for several years.:( I have been looking for some good green swordfish and have not been able to find any, that is until I contacted a very nice lady at Phoenix Tropical Fish. She ordered a bunch just for me. I'd asked for twenty fish, ten pair. When I got there she had them and they are young, healthy fish.:D:D:D:D:D She even gave me a 20% discount for ordering so many.(y) She has a large store behind her home, and I looked at most of it, and it's mostly freshwater species.
Now to find some Blue platys that are a pure strain.
I've wanted to raise some Green swords for a long time, and now I've found a source. I'm into the live bearer types mostly, although I keep a community tank with tetras and angel fish along with the live bearers.
Any AZ folks out there willing to talk shop, or.............?:dance:

well, I went thru this site and found in the phoenix area about half a dozen folks who tried to get something going four or five years ago, so now I'm trying again if anyone is interested. PM's some of them, but will likely not get anything back, kinda sad.

yeah, I know, I've given up on finding anyone interested in talking or whatever. Found a gal in Texas who I've had a blast visiting with tho. If you're interested in visiting or whatever, let me know, tractorholic@gmail.com

Brian

Im in southern AZ. You guys in know of any good lfs in the Tucson area?

Sorry, I'm live in the phoenix area, so have no idea. I'd try the net and see what comes up. I know there is a group there and you may be able to get some advice from that bunch.

Hi, I'm in phx and LOVE phoenix tropical fish! I have gotten all my freshwater fish there. The livestock is young and hearty and the prices are great.

Yeah, I have had the same luck there, bought 20 Green swords from them and all have been healthy, and young. Am now just beginning to see some pregnant females. They were young enough not to be sexually mature when I bought them. Gotta love it.
So what fish do you keep? I'm a community fish guy, mollies, platys, guppies, tetras, gourami's, neons, the smaller stuff.

I have a 10g with neons and glolite tetras, a 20g with platys, mollies and a pair of albino corys, and I just started stocking my 100g, so far a school of red eyes, school of columbians, school of black neons and then 3 each of serpae tetras and blue longfin danios. (The two groups of 3 were given to me, and I know, I know...I really need to expand out their schools, 3 isnt enough for either of those lil guys to school with) The plan for that tank is to add a pair of angels, 5 or 6 panda corys and im currently researching which type of goramis I can add for a lil more color, without disrupting the tetra schools. Do you have suggestions as far as what type and how many goramis I could add....the goramis are new to me, I have always had experience with tetras and mollies, platys, etc in the past.

Hey guy, you're doing great. I've little experience with goramis, but those I have had were great in a community tank, at the moment I have a blue gorami in with the other stuff in my 20g tank, also have one angel fish. I usually have two or three, buy em as young and never have any problems with them. Goramis are all beautiful fish, and I've had kissing, blue and a pink variety, loved em all. The blue is the most colorful I've had, and I need to get another.

I was thinking i read somewhere that the kissing get too big to be with the tetras, such as the tetras will become kissing food....is that untrue? I would love to have a pair of kissing goramis as my centerpiece fish!

I didn't have any problems, but I bought them as very young and when they were added, the other fish were already established. People tell me same about the angels, but I did the same there, and had no problems ever. Maybe I was lucky, but i had fun with mine.

Let me know how it goes. I know theres a lot of folks who disagree with me on the subject, and I'm no expert, just a guy who is having fun with the hobby.

I still check this site regularly, so if anyone is interested, I'm still here and would sure enjoy meeting some AZ folks.

Hi, I can't help ya on this one as I'm in Tempe, and seldom get to tucson, but know there are some active folks there. Try the net for groups in that area. I know there is a live plant group there, found it elsewhere in this site.

Back
Top Bottom