Collecting sand at San Francisco area beachs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sacramentofish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any one collect any sand from the San Francisco CA are beachs for their tanks? If so what are the paramaters?

do you need a permit?
is it legal?
how much can you take?
where do you get it (tidal zone, beach or what?)
how do you get it?

Would love to have some sand from a local source.. H20 for that reason..

Hope you have a wet suit....You aren't gonna want to get any of the dry sand on the beach, you should go out into the water as far as possible (and as safely as possible!) and grab a bucket from under the water. Good luck....BRRRR :wink:

Sand from public beaches can have all kinds of garbage and chemicals in it. Like sacramento said, the best place you can get sand from is offshore, best accomplished with a boat. Definitely check with the authorities if you plan on collecting sand from the beach or offshore, as this could very well be against local laws.

i think white sand from the halfmooon bay beaches are a lot better than the ones by the city....nice white sand..... :wink:

i think white sand from the halfmooon bay beaches are a lot better than the ones by the city....nice white sand..... :wink:

maybe I should just move to Tahiti where the only thing I would have to pay for in my tank would be the hardware :wink:

thanks for the tip on halfmoon bay.

ps, I do have a wetsuite (or two) from my days a san diego state :p

or you can use some sandblasting sand from your hardware store...mine is a lapis lustre #60 silica-based sandblasting sand..got them at my local hardware store (not home depot or lowe's)...i paid $8 for 100lbs...they look nice, sugar-fine sand...just call your local hardware/ garden shop and they might have 'em...

Back
Top Bottom