Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Southwest & California

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
College Companions?

Hi! I'm going to be attending college as a freshman soon, and I need advice about what type of fish I should take with me. I'm an undeclared major currently, but I know that I either want to go into marine biology or veterinary medicine. I'll go crazy if I don't have animal companions! Here's the criteria;
1) fish that will do well in a 20 gallon tank- that's not negotiable, unfortunately. I'd like a bigger tank but that's the dorm rules.
2) relatively easy to care for- I've had fish before, but I'm nervous and don't want to end up with a tank of fishy carcasses because I tackled something I wasn't ready for.
3)fish that are compatible with shrimp- I've always wanted shrimp, they're adorable!
4) fish that are peaceful and nonviolent- I don't want to see fishy gladiator in my tank either.
5) fish that are interesting/pleasing to look at- I really want fish that make for good pets. Fish that I can make friends or interact with?
Any help you could give me would be really appreciated! Thank you so much!

Marine Kaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Delapool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor is great for getting ideas of what you are able to hold in your tank.
Bloodfin tetras and Long finned Zebra Danios are neat. I am thinking of doing a few of either of them in my 10 gallon shrimp/ plant tank when I get it started, so I am sure they would be more than fine in your 20 gallon. Good luck and make sure you post pictures when you have it all set up!
TXaquaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
You want nano fish for shrimp usually.

How about:
-8 celestial Pearl danios(gorgeous!)
-8 neon tetras
-10 red cherry shrimp

The shrimp should establish a colony and will keep their numbers up.

ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #5
Neons, Rummy Nose, A Ram, Platy/Guppy, Drawf gourami, oto catfish, cory catfish and a bamboo shrimp and some snails.. You could even do something like a freshwater Bumblebee Goby or three.
Reefer James is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com