Glass Tank in CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
Living in California and having the chance of earthquakes, i was told that i should be worried with glass tanks breaking in one. should i really be worried about it? will an acrylic tank withstand an earthquake where a glass won't? I want to upgrade and was planing on getta glass tank, should reconsider this for an acrylic? Thanks for the help

I also live in Cali and was somewhat concerned about earthquakes as well, to the point I was thinking about bracing the tank to the wall or whatnot.

I have a 46gal glass bowfront, and after filling it up, tried moving it around a bit to see how easily the tank would slide off the stand, how much shear force would be necessary to jostle it enough to really push it over, and came to this conclusion:

If an earthquake were to occur, I'd undoubtedly have water all over the place from the sloshing around. It would have to be a pretty big quake (and not one of the rolling ones, but the sharp jerky ones) to displace the tank enough so that it would crash onto the floor. Big enough, that I think I'd be concerned with a lot more in my apartment (big TV, structural integrity of the building, etc.) than with potentially losing a tank and a bunch of water seeping into the carpet (which again, would happen anyways, just not as much water).

Lastly, looking at glass vs. acrylic... If the tank fell down, you'd likely lose everything (fish, water, etc) anyways, the tank itself is pretty cheap to replace. Go with what you like best in terms of asthetics, cleanability, etc.

I wouldn't worry about earthquakes. I live in northen California myself. My parents had a 55gal for years and it never fell in a quake and we lived in a mobile home, talk about a ride when the ground shakes.

Earthquakes large enough to knock over 500 to 1,000 are so few and far between isn't worth the sweat. You probably have a much a better chance of getting into a nasty car accident going to the local stop and rob for milk than your tank taking a spill in an earthquake.

There is always insurance. Earthquake insurance will not only cover structures, but also belongins lost or damaged as a result. I know you can also insure specific items in your home for a specified value. That may cost you $5 to $20 a year. It will also cover any damaged caused by the water or the tank breaking something else on it's way down. If you have a lot of money into a tank it may be a good idea to cover it. My wife and I have individual coverage on her jewelry and some of the pieces cost as much as I have invested in my tank.

HA HA I even have specific coverage on my TV, I'm such a loser. :oops:

I'm glad you brought this topic up, I had not even thought of it before. I'm going to give my agent a call in the morining.

haha your welcome. if it would just have to knock it over to break it then im not all that worried. i thought a glass tank would shatter or something just by being shaken and such. thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom