Local Fish Store reviews?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wishbone

Aquarium Advice Activist
Quick disclaimer, I do freshwater only at the moment, so I can't comment on the salt water selections at these places.
So here's my current list and quick reviews:

Ocean Floor 2347 W Thomas Rd
They most likely have the largest selection of aquatic merchandise around. I bought most of my 110g tank setup here because of a great sale they had on tanks. Their selection is pretty impressive and they have a large freshwater fish room.
For the most part I've had very good service there. The person I've been working with "Matt" is knowledgeable and friendly. Beware, I have a good suspension they work somewhat on commission so the "sales pitch" happens a bit more than I'd like, but it wasn't too bad.
The first fish I purchased there all had fin rot that I noticed when I got home! They gave me a full refund and this happens, but it was disappointing. Their tanks are usually pretty clean, but sometimes you will see a dead fish floating around.

Pets Inc. 3201 S Mill Ave
They have a smaller selection of aquatic related items than Ocean floor, but do cater to both salt and fresh. The fish selection is nice. They probably have near the tank numbers that ocean floor has and everything is priced reasonably. Their equipment selection is much smaller, but is complete.
I haven't really met anyone here who really seemed to know a lot about the fish hobby. So I wouldn't rate their knowledge very high, but it may be I just haven't met the right person yet. They are a "pet" company and don't just specialize in fish like Ocean Floor.
The fish I have purchased here have all been good looking healthy specimens.

Petsmart (Eliot and Kyrene area)
Everyone know's petsmart and their selection. This one has always treated me right and they seem to take very good care of their tanks. The staff seems to be knowledgeable and informed. The fish I have purchased here have been healthy and good looking. They're never the cheapest, but I think their prices are generally cheaper than Ocean Floor who seems to be the most expensive in town with out taking their sales into account.

Since I am mostly sw - I'll give you my opinions.
Ocean Floor - high sell - they love selling chemicals, even when trying to convince them that I don't use any chemical (other than salt) in my tank. I don't buy fish there, but they have an extensive supply department. Some of the salesmen are knowledgeable, but high sell! Nice corals, but a little on the expensive side. No guarantees on sw.

PetsInc. - more knowledgeable sw sales people - no high sales pitch. Limited supplies. I have bought fish and corals from them. They have a 3 day guarantee even on sw.

Aqua Touch - Cactus and 32nd Street. Beautiful store. 99%sw. Very knowledgeable staff. Not overpriced as you would think when you walk in. Frag tank and beautiful corals. I only get my livestock from them - even with no guarantee. I have had no problems with their livestock. Great selection of liverock, lots of coraline on it. You can pick out your own - only place I know of that you can put your hands in the tank.

I don't go to Petsmart of Petco for my aquarium supplies - their stuff is too expensive. Oceanic 50 gal was $29.99. I got it for $14.99 at PetsInc in Tempe.

Welcome all to Arizona.

Yeah that was my biggest complaint with Ocean Floor was the pressure sales stuff. If they'd just knock that crap off it wouldn't be so painful to shop there.

I'll have to check out Aqua Touch. I'll defnitely be trying SW eventually.

I just got back into the hobby, but I have been to several pet and fish stores in the area.

I have yet to find a Petco or Petsmart fish department that I would buy a fish from. We tried a couple of times, and the fish always had some problems.

We have been to Ocean Floor. Great store to buy stuff. I don't know if I would trust the fish from there. I always seem to find sick/dead fish in the tanks. Although we keep FW, we look at the SW and they don't look any better health wise.

Pets Inc has been a great place to buy fish. We have purchased several fish there and they have always been healthy, knock on wood. Depending on when you get there, the staff can be helpful, or just a kid putting fish in a bag.

I also went to a store up on Thunderbird (i think), Small LFS. Staff was well informed and the fish seemed fine. Too long a drive to go there often.

Just my input.

I've been to all the LFS you have all suggested and I pretty much agree with everyone. For a true diamond in the rough, however, you have to visit Phoenix Tropicals. It's about a half mile north of Thomas Rd. on 37th street. It's tucked away in a residential area and sort of difficult to find. The staff is incredible and they have everything I've ever wanted fish wise, but couldn't get at other stores. Including, but not limited to: German Rams, various killifish, butterfly fish, lungfish, huge assortment of Chiclids, rare rainbowfish etc, etc. They also have an outdoor pond area w/ various koi. PM me if you want better directions. Check it our for sure.

Andos99 said:
Anyone check out Phoenix Tropicals yet?

You know.. I was going to check that place out once and the girl on the phone hung up on me and was kind rude, so I decided not to. Per your recommendation I'll give the place another shot.

Back
Top Bottom