Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Southwest & California

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-13-2004, 01:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to QuietDusk
I haven't seen anything in San Bernardino county listed, so I'll post one. I've been going to Aquatic Creations (http://www.aquatic-creations-online.com) in Rancho Cucamonga. They "specialize in exotic and hard-to-find stony corals," but Andrew, the owner, is very knowledgable in all areas of the hobby. All I have are freshwater tanks and he's been a great teacher for me.
The customer service is wonderful. He's very accomodating and doesn't try to swindle anyone. Besides selling livestock, he also build custom tanks and accessories. The web page isn't really kept up, but there are some pictures of his work on there.
Whatever he doesn't have on hand, he can usually get within a week or so.

QuietDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just have to put my 2 cents in regarding 2 fish stores I frequently visit here.

First, Tong's in Fountain Valley has great tanks, stands, and other supplies, but their fish are not all that great.

I would say that I go there in hopes of things improving, but have yet to buy any fish. They have a lot of dead fish and a lot of sick fish. My last visit about 1 1/2 weeks ago was very upsetting. A lot of their FW tanks had Ich or some sort of fungal infection going on. I've noticed that they are decreasing there FW section and adding lots more SW fish.

I also visited Petown in Lake Forest and I must say, I was truly impressed. They had a large variety of fish that I have had a hard time locating. Their tanks and store was very clean. They had lots of friendly staff to help you. The 25 minute drive was very well worth it.

FawnN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 08:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to wright4lfe Send a message via Yahoo to wright4lfe
i'm going to have to politely disagree with fawnN about tongs. i've been going there for years and i've never had a problem with any of their fw fish, (i own a 180gl, a 46gl bowfront, a 40gl planted and a 20gl), and i've bought probably 40-50 fish from them. in the rare instance were a fsih died after being purchased, the fish was replaced no questions asked.

as far as dead fish in the tank, you have to understand they receive 2-4 deliveries of fish a week. it is almost impossible for them to keep up with the amount of fish that dies when ordering by the 100's and sometimes 1000's. i was just there yesterday and saw maybe 5-7 dead fish in probably 40 tanks. they recently expanded and now have twice as much space as they had before, so being a regular customer (i'm there 2-4 times a week), i see how much work it is for them to maintain as well as they do.

they did eliminate 1 row of fw tanks, holding mainly larger FW fish, but replaced it with corals and other sw stuff that i know jack about. they also have a pretty large selection of fw plants to choose from as well as multiple planted tanks in the store to check out different setups. did i mention the 2 180gl reef setups or the seahorse tank?

i guess i defend them so much because i've been to the majority of the lfs' in OC/lower LA county and they really seem to be the best. petown is ok, but i find the smug attitude of the workers there a real turn off, as well as the fact that they seem to behave as if they have something better to do than be working at a pet store, which kinda bothers me. there selection is ok, but nowhere near as diverse as tongs. plus, at tongs they will special order just about any fish you can think of, something most store don't do, or haven't when i've asked.

and no, i don't work for tongs, although my fiance wish's i did so that i would get paid for the amount of time i spend there...lol
nothing worth doing in life is easy, seriously, nothing...
wright4lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 11:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to deeni0z
I don't know what the fish store is called, but it's on Chatsworth near the Chatsworth and Encino intersection in Granada Hills. ...That place is all right if all you buy is anacharis. Some tanks were being medicated because the fish were sick but that didn't hinder the manager from putting up a sign over it saying they weren't selling them.

The staff doesn't know what kind of plants they sell.

I only buy anacharis and java ferns from there because I know 100% what those plants look like. The staff is helpful although they aren't knowledgeable.

On the other hand, Aquarium City on Sherman Way is AWESOME. They have so many healthy looking tanks. Their plants are LABELED and arranged very,very neatly. However, their dry goods are EXPENSIVE!
This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in the most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today
deeni0z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey wright4lfe, I live in HB too and frequent Tongs as well. I think many have had issues with Tongs fish survivability. I found that, their turnover is so high, that (my assessment, anyhow) the fish are often too stressed to make the transition to your home tank.

I found that if you ask how long the fish have been in the tank and only buy fish that have been in there for 5-7 days and feed voraciously, that you're much more likely to have success.

Regarding their corals, most are wild caught and don't do very well. If you want corals, go to Pacific Reef near GW College. Best coral store I've ever seen.
55 gallon
dual 175 MH w/ dual 32W PC Actinics
75# LR
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to wright4lfe Send a message via Yahoo to wright4lfe
"If you want corals, go to Pacific Reef near GW College. "

i agree, i'm not a sw guy, but i've heard nothing but good things about them.

nothing worth doing in life is easy, seriously, nothing...
wright4lfe is offline   Reply With Quote

local fish store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com