looking for good LFS in Los Angeles area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim532

Aquarium Advice Activist
My aquarium hobby got put on hiatus for a couple years but now I'm getting things going again. Looking for good stores in the area that have a good selection of freshwater fish and equipment. I'm in Glendale and there is one good shop here. I used to buy from a place in Burbank but they sold the store and it has gone downhill. Yelp reviews are kinda scary and dishonest. So I'd like to hear where the other local freshwater enthusiasts are shopping.

It is further away, but in Ontario Fish Store called Global Aquatics is awesome. The fish are inside a door that is off the sales room-many, healthy looking fish, good reviews.

On a good day Ontario is about 45-60 min drive. I'm not crazy about keeping my fish in a bag for long trips. But if I'm in that area I'd probably check out the store just out of curiosity.
A girl I was dating many years ago thought I was nuts when we took a trip to Las Vegas and the first place I wanted to stop was a LFS I had heard about.

I haven't been there, but I've heard good things about Jim's Exotic Fish in El Segundo.

As for places I have been to, Bob's Tropical Fish on Atlantic right off the 60 is a small shop and maybe not the cheapest, but they seem to be really helpful. My brother in law goes there regularly for advice.

There's CK Fish World in West Covina on Azusa Ave, just north of the 10. Not huge, but bigger than Bob's. Pretty good selection and they have been very helpful as well. My first trip there I was a noob (still am really) and I was looking at some not so cheap fish. They asked about my setup and when I told them I was just starting a fish in cycle they advised against spending my money until the tank was cycled. They could have just made the sale, but they advised against it. I appreciated that. I was just back there this weekend and found some horned nerite snails, rabbit snails and CPO's. Those are all things that I was considering, but I was thinking I would have to order online.

Just went to Global Aquatics in Ontario for the first time this weekend too. BIG place with lots of variety when it comes to fish. Seemed to have tons of cichlids, if that's what you are looking for. As with most local shops, the accessories seemed to be pretty expensive compared to the big chains.

There's a few others...

Brea's Tropical Fish - Brea. Mixed bag of Fish and Corals.

Tong's Tropical Fish - Whittier
****I will say that it looks like they're liquidating out everything (Food, equipment, medicines, large tanks) Better get there for a deal soon. Everything is like 50-70% off.

Discount Tropical Fish - large selection of Corals. Not big on fish.

I frequent these spots..

Back
Top Bottom