Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Southwest & California
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Looking to start a free Fish Club in San Diego

Free as in Free Beer

Some ideas for the group

Get together and brainstorm on improving our fishy skills, nothing fancy, no member fees, just a group of people who are addicted to the hobby.

Each member could select a particular favorite fish to breed and then provide them free to members instead of buying at LFS. Fish will be more healthy home raised vs at the LFS and don't forget the Free Beer

A support group, like AA AquaAddiction

Old 06-02-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The four "A's" A(quarium) A(dvice) A(qua) A(ddiction)!!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeavisMom62 View Post
The four "A's" A(quarium) A(dvice) A(qua) A(ddiction)!!
Love it!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good on you. Local clubs are one of my favorite things about the hobby. I've learned a ton from the folks in our club here.

Have you checked out San Diego Tropical Fish Society? They may have dues, but IMO the fees are very small for what you get out of it and the speakers you can meet and talk to.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Free beer ? do you own a pub lol ?

1 Angel, 1 Gourami, 6 Rosey Barbs, 1 Bristlenose Catfish also new 40 Gallon tank yet to be decided !
Cartosbartos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Good on you. Local clubs are one of my favorite things about the hobby. I've learned a ton from the folks in our club here.

Have you checked out San Diego Tropical Fish Society? They may have dues, but IMO the fees are very small for what you get out of it and the speakers you can meet and talk to.
I've been thinking about checking that out...

I have also noticed alot of people on here from SD I don't think I have time for the meetings but I might have some extra mbuna after mine start breeding.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I"m not a fan of fee based clubs, I think it's silly to pay a fee just to mingle with other like minded people. Fish clubs should not be for profit and that's what these fees are or eventually turn into. My thinking of a club is meet at each others homes, have some food, free beer lol and learn from each other.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Free beer is a great idea! I'm in SD and would totally come.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecoking View Post
I"m not a fan of fee based clubs, I think it's silly to pay a fee just to mingle with other like minded people. Fish clubs should not be for profit and that's what these fees are or eventually turn into. My thinking of a club is meet at each others homes, have some food, free beer lol and learn from each other.
It costs money to hold meetings, conduct auctions, and to host top notch speakers. In our case here, a family membership is $18 a year. In the last 12 months we have gotten to meet, speak with, and learn from some of the biggest names and most knowledgable people in the hobby. Silly is a matter of opinion.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

^Didn't you guys meet Amano once at a meeting?

I totally agree with HN1 regarding memberships. While I can sort of see your point in having to pay to associate, the benefits of paying such a small fee pay off big time. Unfortunately, there aren't any fw clubs around here that I am aware of... If there were, I would certainly be a member. Making friends who breed fish can, and usually will, result in some awesome fish making it to your tank.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
die, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com