The Summer of the 90 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnaelting

Aquarium Advice Activist
This summer we are going to put in a 90 Gallon tank in the Great Room. We have been buying the parts a piece at a time for the last 3 months. We have yet to buy the tank, stand, gravel, and decor items.

So, if any of you see a smoking deal, let me know. Or, if you know someone that is going to sell a 90 gallon, let me know. :wink:

Email me at dnaelting@yahoo.com

We are planning a Mbuna Cichlid tank. We are thinking of putting in some electric yellows and some P. Acei.

We will keep you posted as we move along.

We just moved the furniture to accomidate the tank and stand.

We get people all the time that lets us know they have systems for sale....I will pass it on that you are looking for a syste..

I check, but never seem to find the deals. I will keep at it. I am eager to get the tank and stand. We have moved the furniture and now we have a big empty spot where the tank will go. 8)

Not yet. We just got back from vacation and I have to travel for work. We will most likely have to buy a new stand/tank. We are saving out pennys. It will probably be some time in October before it is set up.

We have done a lot of planning and it looks like this will be a planted tank, low light, with Angels and some other fish in it. We are thinking about a school of Turquise rainbows, cory cats, and Swordtails.

But, all things are subject to change!!

OK, we now have the tank and stand on order, it should be in on Thursday!

We purchased the gravel and the lights, so all we need to do is set it up next weekend, and get everything running.

We changed from a 90 to a 75 gallon. This will be in the living room near the couch and did not think we needed the taller tank.

Right now we know we want to stock 4-6 Angelfish, 6 Swordtails, and 6 Cory Cats. We are debating what else we want in the tank, we are looking for one other type of fish to keep. We have debated Rainbows, but not sure it that is what we want.

If you have any ideas, let us know.

OK, so it is now the summer of the 75 gallon tank.

GREAT NEWS! We have the tank and stand. Thanks to a great sale at Pets Inc.

I have just finished putting the gravel in, after a good washing, and started the filters after filling the tank about 80% of the way.

I have the plants on order from azgardens.com. When the plants arrive, I will plant the tank and take some pics for everyone to see.

Right now we are thinking about the following fish:
Angels
yo-yo loach
Swordtails
Bolivian rams

What do you think?

We added the fish!! Hope to have pics in the next week. I used a filter sponge from the 70 gallon tank to seed the new tank, plus I used Bio-Spira. This tank is planted so I figure the fish should be fine.

In the 75 we now have:
4 Leopord Veil Angels
10 Red-eye Tetras
6 Yo-Yo Loaches
4 Swordtails (young only about 1")

We will be adding 2 more Angels and probably 4-6 more swordtails. We are waiting for more Angels from the store and for the 30+ Swordtail fry to age.

BTW - if anyone wants some orage swordtails, they will be available in about a month, just have to pick them up... 8)

Awesome great to hear you have it all set up!! I'd love to see some pictures. When you get a moment can you spec out what kind of equipment you went with? Ie filter types, lights, etc.. I'm curious. I need to take a trip to Pet's inc this week and have them test my water for me. I have a very similar fish stocking to you but all my Angels have died one after another and now I don't have any left. =( The water parameters and everything looked fine to me, so I'm really at a loss on this one....

The only other fish I might suggest would be something to help keep things clean. Either some otto cats or some sort of pleco that doesn't grow too mammoth. Some gouramis also make nice takemates to angels, but they can be semi aggressive so you have to be careful about putting too many gouramis together from what I've found. Oh, and keep in mind that Pets Inc will buy fish from you usually if you can't get rid of the swordtails to someone who wants them. Right now in my 120g planted I have:

3 long fin skirt tetras
3 Pineapple swordtails
3 clown loaches
2 yo-yo loaches
1 King tiger pleco
2 clown plecos
1 pearl gourami

7 angels RIP everything else seems to be doing great :cry:

Back
Top Bottom