Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Southwest & California

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-03-2003, 10:07 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to silverain420 Send a message via Yahoo to silverain420
Hello All! I am from Santa Cruz and starting my first SW tank. I have had much experience with brackish water - I love those little puffers! Unfortunately I got tired of watching them pick on all the other fish! So I am currently in the cycling process (day three) in a 12 gallon SW tank. I have about 12lbs of cured live rock and two green chromis. So far, so good. Both seem healthy and are eating very well. My levels haven't seemed to sky rocket yet. I am hoping that is because of the live rock. Once my 12 gallon is cycled, I am picking up a 40 gallon tank (its in Sacramento). I love the long horned cowfish, followed closesly by porcipine puffers. I hope to get a jawfish (among other peaceful fish) for my 40 gallon.

I did check out Brian's Fish World in San Jose, and they are great. Thanks for the advice.

silverain420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 12:07 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Never been to Lompoc or Santa Barbara or Santa Cruz, boy lived in California all my life and have only seen a few places, I've got to get out more :/ What kind of tank XXFireFighter?

Can't wait to see pics of your tank Jen!

So is it just me? I can't wait until this election thing is over, I'm tired of the commercials and the news that's all they talk about.

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 04:38 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all -

i just moved to southern california (camp pendleton specifically, near fallbrook/oceanside) from florida and joined the forum. i wanted to introduce myself and say hi to everyone

i'm into freshwater fishkeeping...i've been heavily into bettas for several years now, have done a little breeding and am hoping to get back into it as soon as we're all settled from the move. i belong to the IBC and the Los Angeles Betta Society and hope to be showing as soon as i can get my breeding program back up and running (moving cross country is torture on fish and fishrooms!).

i've also recently become an endler's livebearer fan after i got some endler's from a breeder. i'm trying my luck with killifish as well. i'm hoping to get into planted tanks but i've got to do some serious lighting upgrades before i start really diving into it...so that may take awhile

anyhow, just wanted to stop and say "hi!" and let you know a little bit about me. this forum has been extremely informative for a relative newcomer to the area like myself, good work ya'll
Mushime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 03:11 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello Everybodies,
I'm 26 and live in Sacramento (Northern Cali). Joined the forum a few months back and just found out about the reginal forums. My Aunt and Uncle gave me a 135 Gal FW tank with some supplies and 2 cat fish and an Angel fish, the other Angel died and so did the Arrowana a few months before they gave me the tank. The tank fits nicely next to a half wall in the new home my gf and I bought back in June, so you can see the tank from the living room and the dinning room. I'm just getting started with this new hobby, Home Theater thing was getting very expensive and need to pay off some electronics before I get back into it and my car was getting vandalized so I stop putting money into it. So far I have kept the 2 catfish in the tank, moved the angel fish to a 17 Gal FW that wasn't being used, I have added 2 small oscars, 2 small convicts, 2 small green terrors, 2 small Jack D., 3 medium sized tin foils, and a common algae eater. I'm looking to add a Rainbow Arrowanna in a few months once the other fish are big enough to not be eaten. Just wanted to say hellos to everybody and give a little bit of background on myself and wanted to let people know I have found this forum very informative and enjoy it each time I log on.
"Talk does not cook rice" - old Chinese proverb
(I think it means stop talking and start doing)
Idealconcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 06:53 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak
Looks like I am the winner for farthest north!

I am 38 and live in Eureka CA

I have just returned to fishkeeping after a long hiatus. I have a 50 gallon FW with Malawi cichlids.

Pics of tank and fish in my gallery and homepage
Enki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:46 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to HorseyJesse
wow that would be such an awesome tank! (the 15000 gal one)

I am a southern californian like a few of you are. I live in San Dimas (anyone heard of it?) it is about 30 mins away from L.A. with no traffic.

Anyone know what the youngest age is on this site? Well im 16 and I have yet to find someone my age or younger on this site, but then again I am a newbie

for my 16th birthday my friends bought me a 10 gal tank, filter, gravel, decorations and a bunch of fish. unfortunately the fish were as follows, 1 giant goldfish, 1 black moor, 1 tadpole, and 20 feederfish....20 feederfish! i guess they thought the feederfish were funny because it exagerated the size of the giant goldfish. my friends set up the tank and released the fish in about an hour...the tank had no cycling time whatsoever, but the fish were strong enough to get through it.(dont worry, that will never happen again) Well the big goldfish ended up eating half the feederfish so i gave it away. I then gave away 5 more feederfish. So now im stuck with 5 feeder fish...those things just dont die! I now have a bamboo shrimp and 5 neon tetras (whom brought tail rot to my tank..oye..) and i have an annoying algae problem that refuses to go away. I have had my tank for about three months and i've already had a billion problems but I still think that it is completley worth it!

i cant wait to get a bigger tank, and it is my dream to start a sw one, but that prob wont be for a while since i am still learning the ropes of fw.
it's tough being a newbie..just when i think i know a lot, something completley brand new happens in my tank and its back to the message boards.
HorseyJesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 03:37 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via ICQ to Aztlan
Hi to all my local aquarists. I'm in Glendale, getting ready to start my 60 gallon Saltwater reef tank.
Just waiting on a few parts. Anybody recommend some other LFS within 15 miles of Glendale?
Aztlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 04:45 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak
AZtlan. I know of three great places for you to go. They are all a few miles from eachother and are located in the Studio City area. Just take the 134 west to the 101 West.

The closest place is Mark's Tropical Fish, which is located around the corner or Laurel Canyon and Ventura. Finding that store can be tricky b/c it's on this little connecting side street. They specialize in salwater and have so many things you won't know what to get. Keep going west on ventura and you'll get to Underwater Depot on the corner of Woodman and Ventura. They're great and are very helpful. I go there anytime I need anything. Go another three blocks or so west and you'll see Aquarium City in the south side of Ventura. I think it's next to The guitar center. I'm not much of a fan of this place b/c the worker's aren't friendly at all, but they do have some cool suff, and I think the owner is a merine biologist, so if you ever see him, he could provide you with some good info.

BTW, where did you get your name from? It's sortof an Armenian word.
12 gallon Eclipse: 5 Cherry Barbs, 4 Columbian tetras, 4 amano shrimp, 1 one in. pleco,

30 gallon tall Eclipse II: 4 Praecox Rainbow Fish, 2 Australian Rainbowfish, 3 zebra snails, 2 Clown Loaches, 2 Congo Tetra, 2 Boesemani Rainbowfish, 1 Red Irian Rainbowfish, 1 Bronze Corydora, 1 Golden Panchax Killifish, 1 Aplocheilus lineolatus Killifish, 1 Common Pleco (~5 in.), 1 candystripe Pleco (~1 1/2 in.)

My online photos
illuminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 05:14 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via ICQ to Aztlan
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll check them out this weekend.

No my name is not Armenian, nor am I.

Aztlan is the mythical place of origin of the Aztecs.
The exact physical location of Aztlan is unknown, other than it must have been located near estuaries or on the coast of northwestern Mexico, though some archaeologists have gone so far as to locate the present town of San Felipe Aztlan, Nayarit, as the exact place.

Too much info, hehe
Aztlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 01:37 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by HorseyJesse

Anyone know what the youngest age is on this site? Well im 16 and I have yet to find someone my age or younger on this site, but then again I am a newbie

Welcome to AA. My girlfriend and I are from Orange County. Im 19 and Shes 17, not as young as you but still in our teens. i know there are other teens on the board as well. Good luck with your sw. Start saving up now for it, it gets pretty expensive. we have a 60 gal reef, 25 gal mini reef, a 20 gal plant, and a 10 gal community, somewhat like yours. We have found a lot of good deals out there tho. If you have any questions about anything, dont be afraid to ask, there are a lot of good people on this board.

BBReef is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com