Where's a Good LFS in The SanPedro/Torrance/South Bay Area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruinsbro1997

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,
I've been wondering if there are any fish stores in San Pedro, Torrance, or in the South Bay at all that you guys would reccomend? I have been to LFS around here but none of them have all the stuff I need. Could you help me? Here are some I have been to:
Seven Sea's Tropical Fish-their store is very clean, I will tell you that. I visited there yesterday, and it seems if you are a cichlid person that is the place to go, they have about ten different tanks of cichlids. They also carry huge and oddball fish, like catfish and full-grown oscars. However they do somewhat lack in the smaller and more commonly available species, I can't find a lot of them in their tanks. Their saltwater selection is very nice as well, they have a display tank with corals.
San Pedro Petco-last time I went there was yesterday as well, they did clean up the store but as usual the tanks were filled with dead fish.
Neptune's Reef-I personally like this place. There are some very nice people here, the teens are some of the most helpful-however do not ask them for advice. The owner is quite sour sometimes, so watch out for that. It could be a bit cleaner, but I really like the selection of live plants. The fish tanks could be a bit cleaner too and they should check up on a few occasionally because they do seem dirty, but overall its an alright store. Their saltwater selection seems kind of small though.
Aloha Tropical Fish-not one I would reccomend but still have some good prices. They do however keep some of the fish here in an inhumane way, for example I saw a juvenille yellow lab and mbuna together in a ten gallon tank last time I went there. They do however occasionally have sales and discus are sometimes cheap, they also have some fish you don't find in other stores. I think this is the only fish store that sells seahorses I know of. I believe it is under new ownership and they are currently renaming.
Pacific Reef's Tropical Fish-kinda shabby and a bit seedy if you ask me. I went in there, its' quite dark in there, they don't really turn on the lights. The freshwater section is small compared to most places I've been to, and sometimes there are empty tanks with no fish. I don't know if they have a saltwater section there, all I saw was live rock.
Torrance Petco-this is actually one of the nicer Petcos I have been to. They have a twenty-nine gallon reef display tank and a saltwater coral display as well. However their six gallon fluval chi is way overstocked if you ask me. The fish selection is okay, although occasionally you come up across some marble hatchets, boesman's rainbows or rummy-nose tetras for a good price.
Petsmart-don't go there. I was there and it didn't look good. The fish selection is small, there is no saltwater, and they keep some of the fish there inhumanely, pacus in a small tank like that? I don't like it.

Are there any other LFS I missed? Which is the bet one in your opinion? Have any new LFS opened? Thanks! :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Hey guys,
I've been wondering if there are any fish stores in San Pedro, Torrance, or in the South Bay at all that you guys would reccomend? I have been to LFS around here but none of them have all the stuff I need. Could you help me? Here are some I have been to:
Seven Sea's Tropical Fish-their store is very clean, I will tell you that. I visited there yesterday, and it seems if you are a cichlid person that is the place to go, they have about ten different tanks of cichlids. They also carry huge and oddball fish, like catfish and full-grown oscars. However they do somewhat lack in the smaller and more commonly available species, I can't find a lot of them in their tanks. Their saltwater selection is very nice as well, they have a display tank with corals.
San Pedro Petco-last time I went there was yesterday as well, they did clean up the store but as usual the tanks were filled with dead fish.
Neptune's Reef-I personally like this place. There are some very nice people here, the teens are some of the most helpful-however do not ask them for advice. The owner is quite sour sometimes, so watch out for that. It could be a bit cleaner, but I really like the selection of live plants. The fish tanks could be a bit cleaner too and they should check up on a few occasionally because they do seem dirty, but overall its an alright store. Their saltwater selection seems kind of small though.
Aloha Tropical Fish-not one I would reccomend but still have some good prices. They do however keep some of the fish here in an inhumane way, for example I saw a juvenille yellow lab and mbuna together in a ten gallon tank last time I went there. They do however occasionally have sales and discus are sometimes cheap, they also have some fish you don't find in other stores. I think this is the only fish store that sells seahorses I know of. I believe it is under new ownership and they are currently renaming.
Pacific Reef's Tropical Fish-kinda shabby and a bit seedy if you ask me. I went in there, its' quite dark in there, they don't really turn on the lights. The freshwater section is small compared to most places I've been to, and sometimes there are empty tanks with no fish. I don't know if they have a saltwater section there, all I saw was live rock.
Torrance Petco-this is actually one of the nicer Petcos I have been to. They have a twenty-nine gallon reef display tank and a saltwater coral display as well. However their six gallon fluval chi is way overstocked if you ask me. The fish selection is okay, although occasionally you come up across some marble hatchets, boesman's rainbows or rummy-nose tetras for a good price.
Petsmart-don't go there. I was there and it didn't look good. The fish selection is small, there is no saltwater, and they keep some of the fish there inhumanely, pacus in a small tank like that? I don't like it.

Are there any other LFS I missed? Which is the bet one in your opinion? Have any new LFS opened? Thanks! :)

Are you looking in Torrance in the LA area?
There is one in El Segundo, which I like, it is call Jim's exotic fish.... Really helpful and knowledgeable people.
You can check their website.

ejaramillo01 said:
Are you looking in Torrance in the LA area?
There is one in El Segundo, which I like, it is call Jim's exotic fish.... Really helpful and knowledgeable people.
You can check their website.

I've been peeking around the Torrance, Lomita, Carson, San Pedro, Long Beach and Redondo Beach areas, those were the only ones I could find so far. Maybe when we're in El Segundo I'll check it out. Thanks!

bruinsbro1997 said:
I've been peeking around the Torrance, Lomita, Carson, San Pedro, Long Beach and Redondo Beach areas, those were the only ones I could find so far. Maybe when we're in El Segundo I'll check it out. Thanks!

Also Strictly Fish in Long Beach, they have good equipment and fresh plants.... Fish stock is decent but not great... Good store but a little expensive sometimes.

ejaramillo01 said:
Also Strictly Fish in Long Beach, they have good equipment and fresh plants.... Fish stock is decent but not great... Good store but a little expensive sometimes.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out! :)

Back
Top Bottom