Discus And Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luketheduke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys i am new to the forum and was wondering about my 50 gal tank. I really want to put some discus in there, but i know they need at least a couple others to be happy. I also really despise algae, so i was wondering if there was a way i could keep 3-4 discus and also have something in the tank compatible with the discus water parameters that eats algae. Is there such a thing? Thanks!:):thanks:

Not really a great setup for discus. You'll want to start with 7-8 and see how it goes. Is the tank currently running? You also wont need anything for algae in a proper discus tank because you'll be changing water all the time and the lighting will be subdued.

will 7-8 fit in a tank? it is currently running, i was misinformed about how long to let it cycle, i put danio, guppy, otos, platys and cory's in there, but have not put any more in and am waiting until i see nitrates to buy the dicus and get rid of the smaller fish. I see your point with the algae, how long do you recommend the light on a day for a discus tank? Thanks so much!

Don't take this the wrong way... when you ask me how many will fit?? Shoot I could fit 10000 discus in a 50 gal tank if yoir buddy bet me i couldn't and you bought the discus. You need to research this operation, they look great but they don't last if you arnt ready. You're not even close..

True.

Discus are specialty fish and need to be taken care of properly. Special needs, big tank, lots of room, everything set up especially for them, lots of little details, temp light foods, tankmates, etc. If you aren't doing 30-50% water changes daily because of frequent feedings, and their needs for pristine water, there is likely a problem with how they are being raised.

They are a majestic fish and are a HUGE amount of work to raise from small/young size/age. Brookster knows as he is raising numerous babies in lots of water and caring for them the way they should be raised.

As for algae, good light and not too much time on and clean fresh water will help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom