Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Northwest & Mountain States

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Question Newbie needs help

I live in Madras, OR. I would like to make a reef aquarium from tide pools. I somewhat know the rules of where I can go to find my "specimens". Now How do I get the right tank, cooler and filter. Also how do I keep the fish alive so I can put everything together when I get home? John

RBCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Tide pool organisms might actually need the battering of waves. If nothing else, you're definitely going to want very strong alternating flow.
Tank - bigger is better. Get the biggest tank you can afford.
Cooler - never used one. Sorry.
Filter - I like the Berlin method personally. Lots of rock and sand. Protein skimmers are a must. Waves on the shore are nature's protein skimmer, so shoreline critters might tolerate dirtier water than reef, but better safe than sorry.
"How do I keep the fish alive" can you be a little more specific? Do you mean alive on the trip from beach to home? 5 gallon bucket with a tight lid and a careful driver. If it's a long drive, maybe a battery operate air pump.
Someone stop me! Please! But... not just yet...
55 Gal Tropical FW
55 Gal Mixed Reef
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com