Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Northwest & Mountain States
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2017, 09:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tropical fish and one goldfish

How do you guys feel about this? My tank stays around 72į-74į degrees fahrenheit. I have great filtration! It's 40 gallons. I have my little guy in a 10 gallon for now but, I really want him with my main tank!Click image for larger version

Name:	1490966569614.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	297139

Old 03-31-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't do it, goldfish get big, produce a lot of waste and prefer much cooler water.

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have done it myself but when I didn't really know better. There are a variety of reasons you shouldn't and an answer that you could.

aqadvisor has a stocking calculator. It is possible it will help you with temps for the other fish.

As mentioned GF will get VERY large, and in most tanks, like a community tank do not have the right conditions to grow like they should.

This is a thread which is quite eye opening about the size a GF can get when well cared for.
Why fancy goldfish require big tanks- visual perspective

A possibility would be to stock fish of size which may or may not be eaten by an indiscriminate GF, which enjoy lower temp water.

10 times size of tank for the gallon per hour size filter 40G would need to be around 400+G p/h as it is tested at the optimum with brand new filter pad and clean water. So after the filter works for awhile, it's gph reduces.

Excellent media selections, and top notch attention to pwc, probably 2x per week.

Platy and White Cloud Mountain Minnows will be alright initially but could be eaten because they will end up smaller than the GF mouth size, but are pretty fast.

Then the other issue is food competition.

Some fancies like Lions Head and telescoping eyes should only be kept with similar eating ability fish or they will not get the food they need.

That is just some of the things to know off the top of my head.

There is a bunch more information for GF topics at this section
Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, gold, goldfish, pic, tropical, tropical fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com