1-2 Gallon Walstad RCS Bowl, I have questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to experiment with a small shrimp vase/bowl using Walstad method. I did a bit of reading but still have some concerns as I have never done anything outside of my one tank.

First question, from what I understand I would rare do wcs and it would mostly be top ups. I am assuming I would do this the same way as a normal tank wc with treated water that is matched for temp. right?

When I first start can I just use water from my tank? Or should I just use treated tap water? Would this jar cycle? I can't imagine it would, from the reading it seems like the plants use up the toxins and the shrimp / snails would feed the plants.

So does that mean I can plant it and put shrimp and snails in right away? or should I do just plants for a while to let the plants establish themselves?

How would I control / avoid algae? I am not to use ferts right? The idea is to have the plants use up everything and leave nothing for algae?

What else do i need to know before trying this? I don't want to just kill my shrimp or plants.

I wasn't going to use any of the following:
no light, no filter, no heater.

Just a bowl / vase / jar (i haven't picked it out yet) safe -t-sorb substrate (same as my tank) and a ton of plants (all clippings from my tank)

Livestock would be rcs, mts, ramshorn, and pond snails. I don't know how much of each. Any suggestions? Assume for 1g how much of each could I put? If I then end up with a larger 3-4g I would just do the multiplication and work it out that way.

I understand its all about balance but I really have no idea where to start. I am still trying to figure out the balancing act in my 75g. its going well but not perfect, yet

Back
Top Bottom