1.5 Gallon Hex : Ghosties?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an empty 1.5 gallon hex that used to house my betta. Now it is just sitting in my room empty, so I was trying to get stocking ideas. I know that such a small tank is extremely limited, but I was just thinking maybe 4 ghost shrimp maximum. Is this too many for such a small tank? I was going to put in some maybe some anacharis plants. I do not have a light fixture for the tank so it would be low light. Also, would I need to cycle the tank before I add the shrimp since they are sensative?
Thanks.

I think 5-6 shrimp would be fine. I would go with RCS over ghost shrimp, especially since it will be species only, but that's just my personal preference.

Yes, I like the look of RCS, but ghosts are the only ones sold at the LFS. Would you suggest I cycle it, or do you think it would be okay to heavily plant it and stay up on the water changes?

IMO, no matter how cruel it sounds, they're just shrimp. If you want to take a month cycling a 1.5 gallon, I salute you! Lol

A shrimp only tank is hardly going to cycle at all. No need to do a fishless cycle first ime.

I wondered if there would even be one since they are so small. I too find them very entertaining; constantly probing the gravel in hopes of small food particles, then sparring for a larger one.

Only problem is I have already lost 2 older ones of the 4 I got for my 10g. Hopefully I will have better luck this next go around.

You can expect to lose about half you buy from the store. No biggie. They're a quarter each. Lol

Yep, they are pretty touchy. Do you think anacharis will be able to live with little light? I was going to put in maybe 3-5 stems of it in.

Did a little more research, and I am wondering what to get for lighting. I think a 13 watt CFL would burn the shrimp up so I may end up going with plastic plants...:(

I agree, I'm confused. Shrimp enjoy warm tanks. What's the max temp of your tank?

ive kept ghosties alive in my tank with a 13w cfl and 18w cfl cfls produce less heat than incans if thats what your concerned about my tanks also around 82-84° they would have done well granted they didn't become snacks

OK, I know no one really cares much about ghost shrimp, but of all the shrimp I keep, they seem to like to swim around the most, so they wouldn't be my favorite to keep in a tank that small. Also, they get twice as large as many ornmental shrimp. If you can't get your hands on anything but ghosts, OK, but RCS are no more than $1 ea, including shipping, on sites like ebay and aquabid. ;)

Sorry, I guess I should have worded it differently. Wolf, that is exactly what I was worried about. I was going to run about a 13 watt if I could get/make a fixture for the tank. I was just worried the water may get too warm for them.

adadkins1 said:
Sorry, I guess I should have worded it differently. Wolf, that is exactly what I was worried about. I was going to run about a 13 watt if I could get/make a fixture for the tank. I was just worried the water may get too warm for them.

is it clf or incan?

I will be using a CFL. I am just going to get one of those work lights from Lowes and use the same bulbs as I have on my other tanks.

Fingers crossed they will actually live for a while. I had been planning on breeding them, but I never had any carrying eggs.

Okay, finally got around to getting the pictures onto my computer.

Too bad my hornwort did not cooperate and is now floating and losing needles.

Back
Top Bottom