1 Betta, 3 Corys, 10 Gallons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magikarp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been researching a bit on betta care and had my mind set on a 5 gallon tank. At first all I wanted was a betta in there, but then I saw some albino corydoras spp in the pet store--cute! So I changed my mind and planned on having one betta and one cory.

...But then I discovered that corys are shoaling fish, and prefer to be kept in groups.

So my question now is, will a TEN GALLON tank satisy 1 betta and 3 corys?

PS: Also, will 3 corys be enough to keep each other company? I don't want them to be lonely. :(

3 corys and a betta should be ok in a 10g tank. 3 corys is also a big enough group, but 5-6 would be better if you had a bigger tank. Also make sure to get a good substrate without sharp edges. Corys like to dig through the substrate for food.

Sounds okay to me, perhaps an extra cory or 2 depending on species. Have you considered getting a larger group of dwarf cories?

I have a gobie in my 10 gallon with 4 cories in it. 2 peppered and 2 bronze cories. So i think that would be perfect.

Thank you for your replies! Mystery, I have indeed considered increasing the cory group to 6, but wouldn't I need a larger aquarium?

Yes you would. I would just stick with the 3 or 4 cories and be done if you want to keep it a 10g tank. The cories will be fine in that kind of group.

really depends on the betta. some will not tolerate other fish so keep a eye out on them. stick to the small cory like pygmy or panda cories and go with 6.

I agree with choosing smaller cories like pygmy or panda and getting six. They'll be happier and you'll get to see more of their cool behavior. They are much more fun to watch in a shoal. And if the betta is a grumpy one, he'll be less likely to pick on a shoal.

I have a betta with 3 albino cory cats in a 10 gallon, and everything is going great.

Back
Top Bottom