1 convict cichlid in a 7-10 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay to make things clear.10 gallons won't work. Were looking for something to put Im a hospital desk.
Anything less than ten gallons. Soul be awesome. Thank-you for the support.
Ok. In that case, 5 gallon tanks are the easiest to find. I am guessing from the title you are considering a 7 gallon. Why don't you get a tank that will fit in the space first, then worry about stocking it once you know what size you are dealing with.
There are still some small, colorful options for a 5 gallon, like ember tetras or some tiny killifish. Unfortunately, I do not know of a single cichlid that would work in a 5 gallon, but there are still some fun fish out there to brighten your friend's days. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Ok. In that case, 5 gallon tanks are the easiest to find. I am guessing from the title you are considering a 7 gallon. Why don't you get a tank that will fit in the space first, then worry about stocking it once you know what size you are dealing with.
There are still some small, colorful options for a 5 gallon, like ember tetras or some tiny killifish. Unfortunately, I do not know of a single cichlid that would work in a 5 gallon, but there are still some fun fish out there to brighten your friend's days. :)

Thanks. That's really helpful she's going to be in the hospital for a long time. She says before anything happens she wants an aquarium of her own. If I could I would get her a 100 gallon but I can't put it in a hospital. Thanks for the support.

I have two convicts, a both are about two years old. The female is about 4" and the male is 6". They are in a 20g long. I would not put one in a 10 gallon for two reasons.

1: 10 gallons isn't quite big enough.
2: They probably wouldn't do to well alone... mine are ALWAYS together.

KonvictKeeper said:
I have two convicts, a both are about two years old. The female is about 4" and the male is 6". They are in a 20g long. I would not put one in a 10 gallon for two reasons.

1: 10 gallons isn't quite big enough.
2: They probably wouldn't do to well alone... mine are ALWAYS together.

Thanks. Kinda figured that. Hey what about cory catfishes. Or blackfin catfish. The ones that have whiskers that look like sharks.

ur being very very thoughtful towards your friend. have a look at killifish, but why not check out fish that school or some crabs?
neons are very interesting to watch and once the tank is cycled, easy to keep. crabs are just plain cool.
please google the fish u can keep in a 7 gal, we are only based on experience and research, we dont much know what u personally find best.

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
ur being very very thoughtful towards your friend. have a look at killifish, but why not check out fish that school or some crabs?
neons are very interesting to watch and once the tank is cycled, easy to keep. crabs are just plain cool.
please google the fish u can keep in a 7 gal, we are only based on experience and research, we dont much know what u personally find best.

Okay thank-you.

Thanks. Kinda figured that. Hey what about cory catfishes. Or blackfin catfish. The ones that have whiskers that look like sharks.
I don't think there are any whiskered catfish that would fit in a 5 gallon. Corys are not suitable either. Pygmy corys only reach an inch, but they are recommended for a 10g tank since they need some horizontal swimming room.
A good option would be a school of nano fish (like ember tetras, some species of killifish, or chili rasboras) and a colony of red cherry shrimp. The shrimp are active, colorful, and they breed a lot so your friend could watch all the babies!

absolutangel04 said:
I don't think there are any whiskered catfish that would fit in a 5 gallon. Corys are not suitable either. Pygmy corys only reach an inch, but they are recommended for a 10g tank since they need some horizontal swimming room.
A good option would be a school of nano fish (like ember tetras, some species of killifish, or chili rasboras) and a colony of red cherry shrimp. The shrimp are active, colorful, and they breed a lot so your friend could watch all the babies!

I actually got a 10 g today any stocking ideas on that one. I'll look into lucky cories.

Awesome!
So, my 10g has a betta plus a school of ember tetras and a few nerite snails. I like the combo.
We have given you a ton of combo options on this thread. So, do you have any idea if you like any of the species we have all listed? Celestial pearl danios, dwarf gourami, pygmy corys, Asian Stone catfish, shellies, snails, shrimp, chili rasbora, golden ring danios, scarlet badis, clown killifish (a bunch of other killi species), guppies, platy, and all the others we said.

absolutangel04 said:
Awesome!
So, my 10g has a betta plus a school of ember tetras and a few nerite snails. I like the combo.
We have given you a ton of combo options on this thread. So, do you have any idea if you like any of the species we have all listed? Celestial pearl danios, dwarf gourami, pygmy corys, Asian Stone catfish, shellies, snails, shrimp, chili rasbora, golden ring danios, scarlet badis, clown killifish (a bunch of other killi species), guppies, platy, and all the others we said.

I'm going to try a pygmy catfish one mystery snail. And a group of either tetra or plays how's that.

I think the pygmy cories prefer larger numbers, someone else?

Just saying but Nerites are more fun to look at and really help the tank, just a suggestion :)

picture_117 said:

Just saying but Nerites are more fun to look at and really help the tank, just a suggestion :)

I'll look into those and maybe ill get a group of dwarf corporal and maybe pygmy catfish in a group. My lfs don't support nerites

You're right. Corys are fine in groups of 4, but 6 is usually recommended. The Asian Stone Catifsh likes groups too.

I'm going to try a pygmy catfish one mystery snail. And a group of either tetra or plays how's that.
You could get a group of 4 pygmy corys, 6 ember tetras, 1 mystery snail, and 1 platy. This combo is fine spacewise, but be sure that pwc's are done frequently to support the bioload. :) It would be very colorful and active for your friend to watch.

Sorry to but in but all my friends have had really bad experiences with mystery snails. Most of them die quickly and they are especially sensitive to parameters :S Try shrimp, more fun! And I wish your friend better xxx

I have mystery snails and have had good luck with them. They can be sensitive and you should watch the params, but I think they are worth having. Try ot pick a smaller one and remember that they like to sit still for periods of time (sometimes just tucked into their shells, floating), but that doesn't mean they are unhealthy. Pick an active, smallish one that does not have a sunken in foot when it tucks up into its shell and you should be fine.
If you want to try shrimp though, you could, but platys will eat any little ones. :)

absolutangel04 said:
I have mystery snails and have had good luck with them. They can be sensitive and you should watch the params, but I think they are worth having. Try ot pick a smaller one and remember that they like to sit still for periods of time (sometimes just tucked into their shells, floating), but that doesn't mean they are unhealthy. Pick an active, smallish one that does not have a sunken in foot when it tucks up into its shell and you should be fine.
If you want to try shrimp though, you could, but platys will eat any little ones. :)

Okay ill check out shrimp if there bit the hardest things in the world to see.

Back
Top Bottom