1 convict cichlid in a 7-10 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

antmantis1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm sorta new to the hobby. And was wondering if I'm ready for a beginner cichlid. A convict. I have 17 aquarium and have been In the hobby about a year and a half. So still relatively new. Sadly I can't afford a huge tank like the rest of mine. And my friend who is in the hospital asked me if I can get her a cichlid. I know cycling. And I understand aggressiveness. But I can't afford a huge tank. The convicts I saw were relatively small so I assumed I could put them In something smaller. Plz.help.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110930_002345.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110930_002345.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 187
antmantis1 said:
Hi I'm sorta new to the hobby. And was wondering if I'm ready for a beginner cichlid. A convict. I have 17 aquarium and have been In the hobby about a year and a half. So still relatively new. Sadly I can't afford a huge tank like the rest of mine. And my friend who is in the hospital asked me if I can get her a cichlid. I know cycling. And I understand aggressiveness. But I can't afford a huge tank. The convicts I saw were relatively small so I assumed I could put them In something smaller. Plz.help.

Sorry to hear about your friend :(
But unfortunately, no, a convict can't fit in a 7-10 gallon tank. :(
But, you could try a colony of shell-dwelling cichlids :)

Anything thing common. With color would be nice. Something small ill look into the shell-dwelling. Any other breeds. I'll take anything I really want to help her with her problem. If buying fish will help.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Sorry to hear about your friend :(
But unfortunately, no, a convict can't fit in a 7-10 gallon tank. :(
But, you could try a colony of shell-dwelling cichlids :)

O replied below just if it doesn't appear in your subscribed.

antmantis1 said:
Anything thing common. With color would be nice. Something small ill look into the shell-dwelling. Any other breeds. I'll take anything I really want to help her with her problem. If buying fish will help.

Unfortunately those are the cichlids that could be permanently happy in a ten gallon unfortunately :(

Sorry, I agree with bruins, a convict needs a much bigger tank. The ones you saw that were small were juveniles. They don't stay small.
But there are tons of options for a 10 gallon tank. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Sorry, I agree with bruins, a convict needs a much bigger tank. The ones you saw that were small were juveniles. They don't stay small.
But there are tons of options for a 10 gallon tank. :)

Ok thanks I actually looked into shell dwelling cichlids. Could anyone give me a perspective of there size. My friend really wants a cichlid breed. Anything like that would be nice. Any other breeds of fish with color. Please list them.

Flame gouramis or powder blue gouramis have really bright colors. They'd do good in a 10 gallon. They're just a kind of dwarf gourami.

picture_117 said:
Flame gouramis or powder blue gouramis have really bright colors. They'd do good in a 10 gallon. They're just a kind of dwarf gourami.

Okay I will look into those. Could anyone give me the size of the shell dwelling cichlid.

You know if its the colors your friend likes...and your refined to a smaller set up, some killifish will do amazing. You can order eggs as they stay preserved when dried out,per their `cycle`, and almost literally place them in water and they hatch and grow fast. When your sick, or bed bound, something like that will keep you amused and entertained as well as a sense of thriving and accomplishment as well. Fun little things, the colors of the rainbow, they are on ebay "killifish eggs". Easy on the pocket too.

808felicity said:
You know if its the colors your friend likes...and your refined to a smaller set up, some killifish will do amazing. You can order eggs as they stay preserved when dried out,per their `cycle`, and almost literally place them in water and they hatch and grow fast. When your sick, or bed bound, something like that will keep you amused and entertained as well as a sense of thriving and accomplishment as well. Fun little things, the colors of the rainbow, they are on ebay "killifish eggs". Easy on the pocket too.

Okay ill look in to those to. Any others.

1) guppies and mollies? simple and beautiful.
2) +1 on the gourami
3) dwarf puffer?
4) shell dwelling cichlids, not colourful though....
5) apistogramma varieties, such as cacatoides or hongsloii if u want something really different and pretty
6) dicrossus filamentosus stays small like 3in and is v pretty, swims all around the tank apparantly.

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
1) guppies and mollies? simple and beautiful.
2) +1 on the gourami
3) dwarf puffer?
4) shell dwelling cichlids, not colourful though....
5) apistogramma varieties, such as cacatoides or hongsloii if u want something really different and pretty
6) dicrossus filamentosus stays small like 3in and is v pretty, swims all around the tank apparantly.

Okay ill look into those

I am going to add that mollies and apistos do not belong in a 10g tank. Some people keep a ram or apisto in a 10g, but typically 20 gallons is what is recommended for those. IMO, 10 is too small. Mollies definitely need a bigger tank. They get decently sized and are really messy for their size.
Guppies, shellies, a betta, dg, neons, ember tetras, chili raspora, clown killifish, celestial pearl danios, or a dwarf puffer are all good option though for a 10 gallon. Bettas are gorgeous and very active in a tank with some swimming room rather than those tiny cups. :)

absolutangel04 said:
I am going to add that mollies and apistos do not belong in a 10g tank. Some people keep a ram or apisto in a 10g, but typically 20 gallons is what is recommended for those. IMO, 10 is too small. Mollies definitely need a bigger tank. They get decently sized and are really messy for their size.
Guppies, shellies, a betta, dg, neons, ember tetras, chili raspora, clown killifish, celestial pearl danios, or a dwarf puffer are all good option though for a 10 gallon. Bettas are gorgeous and very active in a tank with some swimming room rather than those tiny cups. :)

Okay to make things clear.10 gallons won't work. Were looking for something to put Im a hospital desk.
Anything less than ten gallons. Soul be awesome. Thank-you for the support.

Back
Top Bottom