1 fish per gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, he snacked up on some peas I put in for the pleco earlier. That's why he looks fat. I'll get him out before the next feeding. Or hold him in the big net till the other fish feed.

Ok, he snacked up on some peas I put in for the pleco earlier. That's why he looks fat. I'll get him out before the next feeding. Or hold him in the big net till the other fish feed.

Yes that will work too. Just don't feed him again until his bloated stomach goes back down

1 inch fish/gallon is Ok if it's not goldfish.

You must learn about compatibility and tank size, you won't put a small 1 inche pleco in a 10g, or worse, 10 1 inch pleco in a 10g.

Also, my understanding is that does not apply to Cichlids as then need to be overstocked due to aggression.

1" per gallon is way outdated and no longer really used except by most pet stores. It is an incorrect way of stocking an aquarium. They don't take into consideration the bio-load, the type of fish, nor the filtration capacity

Also, my understanding is that does not apply to Cichlids as then need to be overstocked due to aggression.

Cichlids is quite a large family of fish lol mbuna need to be slightly overstocked but I wouldn't overstock a bunch of rams together. So yes some cichlids need to be overstocked. The rule really applies to nothing and is generally an awful rule.

I dont think so. I have 6 guppies in a 4 gallon and they are happy, also i have had no deaths or problems in the 3 months of this setup.

There's a difference between happy and surviving. I think the only fish that belongs in a 4 gallon is a betta. The amount if ammonia being built up by 6 fish in a 4g can't be good.

Back
Top Bottom