1 gallon, 2 fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I will get more responses if I post here especially because I am not a breeder:

So I was changing the water in my 5 gallon QT tank that had a platy there because I was concerned about two spots that have since gone away.

I randomly came across two seemingly newborn fry. I put them in a plastic breeding container with fake plants and crushed algae wafer. Returned mom to main tank as her spots are gone.

Do I keep the fry in the breeding container for a while? I read somewhere a 1 gallon tank is helpful.

All the water parameters are within normal range. Currently the breeding box is floating in the 5 gallon QT tank.

I do not intend on breeding, but since there are only 2 I figure I will raise em. I know they may breed, but I will worry about that later. Fortunately, I have a lfs employee that will take fry to raise and not to use as feeders.

Thanks.

There yours. Do what u want. Just keep them in breeding net untill big enough

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The problem I see is if the spots were ich then you now have 2 infested tanks and the babies are in one of them.

Aside from that I would just keep them in a breeder box in a larger tank than a 1 gallon.

The problem I see is if the spots were ich then you now have 2 infested tanks and the babies are in one of them.

Aside from that I would just keep them in a breeder box in a larger tank than a 1 gallon.

Thanks. Might be a moot point. They are so tiny they swam through the small cracks in the breeder box and made it to the main QT tank. I put a nylon over the filter and we will see what happens from there.

The mom that I thought might have ich seemed to have healed and I put her back in the main tank. But now,that she is back in the main tank, I see a reemergence of one spot.

The only thing I can think of with the QT tank is I found the fry while I was doing a large water change and the temperature was about 84 to try to sweat the ich out. It really did look like the spots were gone.

I turned up the heat in the main tank. If I wake up tomorrow and the mom is in bad shape, I may have to get to get a one gallon for the fry and return the mom to the QT. I found a one gallon for $10 US, but it doesn't come with a heater.

Obviously I'd prefer not to have to buy stuff, but I will do whatever it takes.

Ich is a parasite that doesn't go away when the spots go away. It drops off, multiplies, and then breaks out of its shell to reinfect. The tank has to be treated rather that the individual fish. Raise the temp up to 86. Any less than that is ineffective.

Ich is a parasite that doesn't go away when the spots go away. It drops off, multiplies, and then breaks out of its shell to reinfect. The tank has to be treated rather that the individual fish. Raise the temp up to 86. Any less than that is ineffective.

In both tanks?

Since you transferred an infected fish around then yes, both tanks.

Will do. Should I be concerned about other fish and higher temp?

20'gallon - just did a large water change with vacuum. N2 is between .25 and .5. All other readings are fine.

1 snail
2 Cory catfish (I know, need to get more)
3 bleeding heart tetras
3 platy
1 dalmation mollie
1 male guppy

Will do. Should I be concerned about other fish and higher temp?

20'gallon - just did a large water change with vacuum. N2 is between .25 and .5. All other readings are fine.

1 snail
2 Cory catfish (I know, need to get more)
3 bleeding heart tetras
3 platy
1 dalmation mollie
1 male guppy

If you're still cycling you will either want to do extra water changes while the tank is heated because it'll increase the toxicity of the nitrite or wait another week or 2 and how the cycle finishes before the ich gets out of control. Personally I would do the heat treatment and extra water changes. The fish can tolerate the heat just fine.

If you're still cycling you will either want to do extra water changes while the tank is heated because it'll increase the toxicity of the nitrite or wait another week or 2 and how the cycle finishes before the ich gets out of control. Personally I would do the heat treatment and extra water changes. The fish can tolerate the heat just fine.

Thank you. The tank has been established since late Feb, I think I mini-cycled it somewhere along the way.

I am fine doing increased water changes. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom