1 gallon tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishstuff45

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently got a 1 gallon aquarium. I know it is to small for fish but was wondering if there were any shrimp/crabs/crayfish i could put in there. Im open to making it saltwater and putting in some small corals and invertabrates. Thanks

If it has a filter, heater, etc. then make a planted shrimp tank, if it does not, make a nicely planted tank.

I just have the tank so far becuase i wasnt sure what animal i would get. What types of shrimp can fit in a tank that size?

You don't need a filter in a shrimp tank. You could easily get away with some guppy grass, some Amazon frogbit, and maybe some anacharis or moss of some type.

Any type of neocaridina will be fine in that tank. This includes red cherry shrimp, yellow shrimp, blue pear shrimp, snowball shrimp, etc. Do not mix them or else they will interbreed and produce offspring that are more like the wild type.

You could do caridina species as well, but these are typically more expensive and with such a small volume of water it can be hard to keep levels maintained properly, so a pH swing, ammonia spike, etc. could kill off all of your stock of caridina species.

Ghost shrimp would also work, though I don't recommend housing them with other shrimp. You might also check into Amano shrimp. They would go great in a planted tank, as would many of the neocaridina species shrimp mentioned above.

Unless you are a saltwater aquarium expert, you don't want that small of a saltwater tank. Based on my research on saltwater tanks, a saltwater beginner probably doesn't want to start with anything smaller than about a 29 gallon tank. The smaller the tank, the more difficult to keep your water parameters correct.

I wouldn't recommend ghost shrimp or amanos for a 1g. IMO they get too large.

A filter might not be absolutely necesary, but since shrimp don't tolerate toxins like ammo and nitrite well, and appreciate well oxygenated water, it's definitely a good idea.

Some shrimp I've kept in 1g's are RCS, blue pearls, blueberry, blackberry, yellows, and green babaulti.

A couple of thai micro crabs should be fine in a 1g.

A single cambarellus shufeldtii would probably work as well, but it is a little small even for dwarf crays.

Ok thanks for the info i think i'll get some cherry shrimp they look really nice. How many can i get? I read you could have up to ten is that true?

Only get six they will breed and in a matter of time you will halve many more than the ten recommended. If you have too many you can feed them to larger fish or just bring them in to you lfs.

Nothing wrong with 6. However 10 isn't necesarily the max you can have in there, but it's a good number to start with, especially if you are ordering them, to account for any DOA's and losses during/after acclimation, to make sure you hopefully end up with a couple males and a couple females.

Ok well i set up the tank today. I have a heater but no filter becuase they were all to big at my lfs. This is how it looks so far:

Attachments

• image-3522577047.jpg
    image-3522577047.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 107
  • image-106388157.jpg
    image-106388157.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 97
Oh that's really neat! You shouldn't need a heater though, unless your house is reeeally cold. Most shrimp do great at cooler temps.

That looks awesome! I did diy sponge filters in my little shrimp tanks. I agree with siva that the shrimp mentioned do fine at cooler temps. I don't have a heater in my little shrimp tanks and I have never had an issue. :)

Well my room gets cold really cold it is only 65 degrees during the day and colder at night. Its set on 78 degrees it that ok or should i take it out or lower the temp.

Its fine at 78. If you want to lower it, you can. I would set it for more like 75 personally, but I am sure 78 is ok too. :)

Ok thanks. I think i'll keep it at 78 if they can live at that temp.

Back
Top Bottom