1 inch per gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezimmer1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is the 1 inch per gallon accurate? I'm just wanting to know. I think I have seen on her before that it's not but I don't know.

yes it is , its aguideline. you need to make sure your fish have ample room to thrive in and its taken when they are fully grown

It's a basic guide, but not very accurate. It really depends on the bioload, temperament, and activity. That is why a lot of people will ask the foot print and not how many gallons a tank is.

yes it is , its aguideline. you need to make sure your fish have ample room to thrive in and its taken when they are fully grown

Yes but an oscar can get to be 10 inches. However a 10 gallon tank would not be okay.

Yes but an oscar can get to be 10 inches. However a 10 gallon tank would not be okay.

come on calisi . its just a basic guide to help you determine how to stock . of course you wouldnt put an oscar in a ten gallon tank

come on calisi . its just a basic guide to help you determine how to stock . of course you wouldnt put an oscar in a ten gallon tank

Kahlessi is never wrong my friend ;) hahaha

No, it is not. There are too many factors to consider.

I absolutely agree and you would be surprised how many have actually kept a large fish like an Oscar in a 10g tank that the fish couldn't even turn around in and feel the inch per gallon rule is spot on. Not everyone has the common sense to use it as a guide line especially if they have no clue about bio-loads, adult sizes fish will reach, etc. Therefore it is not a good idea to tell people to use it especially if they are relatively new to the hobby.

When I was a beginner I followed this rule and I think it was a good rule. If someone puts a oscar in a 10 gallon obviously can't read and don't care as many pet stores put a minimum tank size under the name of the fish. As you get more experienced obviously the rules change or completely go out the window, but for beginners I think it's a good rule.

Looking at numbers I have found it moderately optimistic compared to the stock advisor website and looking at tank. For example inch guideline comes in at 90% now whereas the website has 100%. I think I'm overstocked although my neighbor disagrees. I'm the one doing the water changes though :) The main issue I find is making sure to use adult length, I could still be optimistic on final adult size. I try to stock to 80% initially in case I stuff up. I guess stock timing for cichlids or more aggressive fish is harder.

The big issue with this is bio load. The inch per gallon rule doesn't take that into account. For example, a single bristlenose pleco is going to add a lot more poo into the tank than 4 or 5 guppies will. It's an old rule that has been phased out of usefulness as the aquarium industry has evolved.

This is what I say

Can you put a 10 inch Oscar in a 10 gallon?
Can you keep a 6 inch rainbow shark in a 6 gallon?
Can you keep a 40 inch shark in a 40 gallon?
Can you put a 24 inch goldfish in a 24 gallon?

This is what I say Can you put a 10 inch Oscar in a 10 gallon? Can you keep a 6 inch rainbow shark in a 6 gallon? Can you keep a 40 inch shark in a 40 gallon? Can you put a 24 inch goldfish in a 24 gallon?

I don't think the inch per gallon rule was meant for things like this. I think it's made so if someone has a 40 gallon tank, and they want fish that have a minimum requirement of 40 gallons or less , that they can stock these fish until the total inch of fish gets to 40. Is it always accurate, of course not, but it's a good guideline.

If anyone takes the inch per gallon as "I can keep a 40 inch shark in a 40 gallon tank" then they need help haha!

I don't think the inch per gallon rule was meant for things like this. I think it's made so if someone has a 40 gallon tank, and they want fish that have a minimum requirement of 40 gallons or less , that they can stock these fish until the total inch of fish gets to 40. Is it always accurate, of course not, but it's a good guideline.

If anyone takes the inch per gallon as "I can keep a 40 inch shark in a 40 gallon tank" then they need help haha!

Exactly, I'm saying because someone said that to me while I was checking out a saltwater store, because it was only like 8 inches tall and compensated that for floor space, that it was meant for flat fish and or eels, but that is just ridiculous

Lemme help here, it's a handy tool for on the fly and to get an idea of your stock, But it's not accurate. I mean you shouldn't always 100% rely on it but if you just want a quick reference point than it's pretty helpful. Both sides in this argument are correct and you can defend both ways pretty good but like I said it should just be used as a tool and helper not what you base your entire stock off!

When I was a beginner I followed this rule and I think it was a good rule. If someone puts a oscar in a 10 gallon obviously can't read and don't care as many pet stores put a minimum tank size under the name of the fish. As you get more experienced obviously the rules change or completely go out the window, but for beginners I think it's a good rule.

You know that in almost every store it says minimum tank size for any large cichlid is 30 gallons which is absolutely ridiculous.

The rule is not good at all no one should ever follow it.

Lemme help here, it's a handy tool for on the fly and to get an idea of your stock, But it's not accurate. I mean you shouldn't always 100% rely on it but if you just want a quick reference point than it's pretty helpful. Both sides in this argument are correct and you can defend both ways pretty good but like I said it should just be used as a tool and helper not what you base your entire stock off!

You should never buy fish or plan stock 'on the fly'.

Back
Top Bottom