1 inch per gallon rule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
15 " lionfish- 125g
8"- yellow tang--100g
8.5" achilles tang- 180g.
12" dragon wrasse-125.
12" engineer goby-55g
30" sweetlips- 500g (double the size of the lion, almost 4x the tank size)
need i go on?
its clearly obvious that the inch/gallon rule simply cannot be applied, especially to marine fish. itll just completely screw up peoples thought process in terms of correct stocking. all these measurements and tank requirements can be verified through LA.

That's the same way freshwater is to? 15 inch jaguar cichlid 125 gallon I can name plenty more if you want lol.

yeah i dont really have an issue with the examples given in this thread,i just have a very solid and factual opinion on the "rule" itself. (atleast i feel its solid and factual)

I'm talking about how bad of a thing it is to tell someone brand new in the hobby I'm not talking about your intentions.

Same thing. To backtrack - why is a 10inch fish in a 10gal tank bad? Even worse I could go and look at it and think it looks fine - I'm completely new so have no idea.

A 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank is terrible. Considering they can't even turn around in it. The tank has barely any room for them to swim and the waste any 10 inch puts out is way to much for a 10 gallon it's just a terrible idea.

Thanks - I agree.

I know this is long winded and sometimes I wish a sticky(?) would be made on this rule on all its problems but it is a real life example I have. When re-starting fish-keeping I read the rule (in a peer-reviewed book no less), did a quick web search later at shop and came up with the 10g per 10inch counter-argument (the link said 'how' it was bad but not 'why', however that's not excusing me). I then had a look at the tanks and thought well, they stock at much greater rates so that's two in favor, one against. The tank size was a massive jump from probably a 15g that I had previously years ago to a 150g and well frankly, I was like a kid in a candy shop. Luckily the lfs owner was very good on taking time out and explaining why this or that would/wouldn't work (and occasionally a completly fed-up "NO!'). So what I'm saying is, I appreciate the answers and time taken.

Go for a lion/predator tank. As much as it is my personal preference, most lionfish including the Volitan become "tame"

my personal favorite are the ones that say "lions dont need big tanks, they mainly stay in one spot"....WRONG. although its true they do tend to hang out in random spots, when observed in wild, they are free roaming predators that dont really have a need to hide from anything. ive also seen lions in properly suited tanks that cruise in the open water ALL day.

What about 20 dwarf puffers in a 20 gallon? Not trying to be argumentive I just really hate this rule because it causes so many problems. I think 20 guppies in a 20 gallon would be a bad idea personally.

Puffers wouldn't work because aggression. Nothing to do with bioload.

I actually don't like this rule either. I just basically gave some defense to what this rule was intended for because The one thing I hate more than this rule is the 10" Oscar in a 10 gallon tank response. Its unoriginal and Duh nobody is attempting it and that isn't what the op was asking. People get these little cliche response that make them feel smart. So I was playing a little devils advocate. :)

Everyone keeps bringing up the 10 inch oscar in a 10 gallon tank. Does anyone actually think this? I've never heard of anyone wanting to do that before. Most of the time people think something like...three tetras and a guppy in a 10 gallon.
You'd be surprised what turns up on Craigslist around here. Absolutely, yes, I have seen decent sized oscars in 10 gallon tanks. Of course, they probably won't reach 10 inches... but they can get large enough so you wonder how they've even managed to live that long.

It's an ok beginners guide in the sense that beginners don't have any idea how many fish to put in their tank so something is better than nothing.

Also beginners don't tend to buy oscars. Beginners tanks are usually 10-20 gallons and beginners fish usually consist of small species such as tetra rasbora guppies etc

So in that small respect I don't think it's actually as horrendous as people make out. I used it and if anything it ensured I was understocked which we all know is better than being overstocked. As you progress you learn how far you can push the limits. You learn more about different fish etc.

I would agree that if nitrates are at a level that require you to do more than 1 water change a week I would reduce the bioload. Plants do absorb some nitrates but not as much as you think. I don't think you should use any excuse to do less water changes.

Plants definitely help but it's water quality filtration and aquarium upkeep that enable you to push the limits. Pushing the limits is something we probably shouldn't do but we are all guilty of doing it at some point. Keep on top of your water quality. changing water cleaning the filter media in tank water and vacuuming the gravel will help keep nitrates lower.
Again, you'd be surprised. Lots of people buy oscars that are complete beginners, have nowhere near an appropriate sized tank, and have no business buying oscars. You'd probably also be surprised how many people put 4 or 5 Mbuna into a 20 gallon tank and wonder why they start killing each other as they grow.

I actually don't like this rule either. I just basically gave some defense to what this rule was intended for because The one thing I hate more than this rule is the 10" Oscar in a 10 gallon tank response. Its unoriginal and Duh nobody is attempting it and that isn't what the op was asking. People get these little cliche response that make them feel smart. So I was playing a little devils advocate. :)
Yeah, people actually DO attempt it. The little oscars grow quickly and are often tough enough to stay alive to the point where you can't believe that big fish is living in that tiny tank. Common sense: not so common anymore!

And yeah, puffers won't work due to aggression, but according to the inch per gallon nonsense, it would be fine! Beginners don't know how aggressive puffers are. That's a great example of why I think this "guideline" is more likely to steer people in the wrong direction than actually help them at all. Any "tool" that leads someone AWAY from research by using a broad generalization shouldn't be regurgitated so often. JMHO

These threads are up like every other week.... With the same results, everyone very frustrated with the one inch rule :D :lol:

You'd be surprised what turns up on Craigslist around here. Absolutely, yes, I have seen decent sized oscars in 10 gallon tanks. Of course, they probably won't reach 10 inches... but they can get large enough so you wonder how they've even managed to live that long.

Again, you'd be surprised. Lots of people buy oscars that are complete beginners, have nowhere near an appropriate sized tank, and have no business buying oscars. You'd probably also be surprised how many people put 4 or 5 Mbuna into a 20 gallon tank and wonder why they start killing each other as they grow.

Yeah, people actually DO attempt it. The little oscars grow quickly and are often tough enough to stay alive to the point where you can't believe that big fish is living in that tiny tank. Common sense: not so common anymore!

And yeah, puffers won't work due to aggression, but according to the inch per gallon nonsense, it would be fine! Beginners don't know how aggressive puffers are. That's a great example of why I think this "guideline" is more likely to steer people in the wrong direction than actually help them at all. Any "tool" that leads someone AWAY from research by using a broad generalization shouldn't be regurgitated so often. JMHO

The whole point is the 10" oscar in a 10 gallon tank is just a wise remark that sounds snide and the OP wasn't even asking about oscars.

Ah gotchya. I am not huge in the 10 in oscar in a 10 gallon statement either because itnis so extreme. I think it is an ok example if you have another more reasonable one.

The bottom line is, when a beginner googles 'how many fish do I put in my tank'? The inch per gallon rule is going to come up. There no getting away from it.

Looking at the rule on a very broad angle and speaking in generality I would say that MOST beginners start with a 10-20 gallon tank. And I would also say that since small fish like neons, guppies etc are the most common aquarium fish I would say that MOST beginners are going to stock these kind of fish.

So taking that in to consideration. Although it is not ideal to have 20 neons in a 20 gal tank it's not quite as silly speaking in a very broad sense.

Because we all have more experience than beginners we can see the 'rule' for what it is and I personally would never encourage someone to use it. Research is key.

Having said that. I still think that people go way over the top with it and yes the 10 oscar in a 10" tank is quite boring now.

Just simply explain that the rule is old and experienced hobbyists do not use it because............

After all this is aquarium advice. Not aquarium debate and put the OP off keeping fish. Not that it matters. I guess the original poster got bored of this thread days ago.

Already been mentioned in this post not helpful or original at all.

I don't care if its not original I'm just really tired of all this 1 inch per gallon talk happening all the time it's ridiculous and pointless to always be arguing about a rule we all know is ridiculous.

I don't care if its not original I'm just really tired of all this 1 inch per gallon talk happening all the time it's ridiculous and pointless to always be arguing about a rule we all know is ridiculous.

Then don't comment and let others try and help out the beginners.

Wow, I must confess even in my wilder moments I never considered attempting that sort of stocking. However I was shown a fish that was probably totally inappropriate for even a 4ft tank on so many different criteria.

Common sense - I do remember being shown a little box at the fish shop one day. I was told it was the remains of an external air pump that someone had thought was a heater as well and placed inside the tank, then switched on power....

At the dentist I have joined. There is a goldfish that probably has an inch space either side. When I go back for my first check up I swear it's going in my dads pond.

Thing is. It'll probably die of happiness.

Back
Top Bottom