Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
10 billion corydoras

Well, not really that many, but on fishbase.org there sure is a lot of them.

I'm getting ready to get a 55 gal up and running, the plans for which is in this post...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=19325

I just need to figure out what type of cory's I want to add to it. I had no idea that there were so many of them.

Considering the needs of the other fish, what types would you guys recommend? So far I like the Three stripe cory (Corydoras trilineatus) the best.

Also, would it be a big deal if I got 2 different species of them? Or would it be best to get all one type?

Old 03-03-2004, 12:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
I like the various morphs of green cories. Emerald, bronze, etc.

Old 03-03-2004, 12:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cories are certainly wonderful! I have three different species (8 total individuals) in my community tank and they herd together. (I know they are fish and they should "school," but I assure you, they herd like cattle grazing the substrate.)
I have mine in with a Rubber Lip Pleco, 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 Kuhli Loaches, Butterfly Loach, 3 Silver-tip Tetras, 2 Serpae Tetra, young convict cichlid-- Archocentrus nigrofaciatus (just visiting), 3 clown loaches-- Botia macracanthus (just visiting), 2 brichardi (also visiting), and 4 assorted “rounder” Tetras. They are all living in a 29 gal until the 50 comes in later today!!! Once the larger tank is established and things get straightened out, I will be getting more cories and rams--wonderful, peaceful fish.
Have fun setting up your new tank(s)!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
I'd get more cories, but they already compete with 5 clown loaches. I think 6 is enough in my case
Old 03-03-2004, 01:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are a lot of species, but unfortunately, it's really tough to get all but a few of them. I bought four that were labeled C. julii, but I knew better. They were actually a mix of C. trilineatus and one I've not seen and no one over at Planet Catfish could figure out either.

I looked fairly hard for duplicareous, adolfi, metae, davidsandsi and a few others with no luck. Had several stores ask their suppliers, but to no avail. I was told that the adolfi were available seasonally to one of the stores. Check aquabid.com occasionally.

You'll mostly find:
C. panda
C. trilineatus (mislabeled as julii)
C. aeneus (Bronze Cory and an albino sp.)
C. agassizii
C. paleatus (Peppered Cory)
C. pygmaeus (Pygmy Cory)
C. sterbai
C. arcuatus
Old 03-03-2004, 02:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the pygmy and 3 stripe so far. Looks like I'm in luck if they are that readily available. The bronze ones aren't bad either. I'll have to do some compatability research this week. Maybe get 4-6 of each. I'm sure they'd like to be in large numbers like that...
Old 03-03-2004, 03:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Re: 10 billion corydoras

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli_conker
So far I like the Three stripe cory (Corydoras trilineatus) the best. Also, would it be a big deal if I got 2 different species of them? Or would it be best to get all one type?
You'll love them. I never met a Cory I didn't like. If you want personality, go w/ sterbai, axelrodi or the common "Pepper" (C. paleatus). Albino aeneus are the most common and trouble-free. Mixing them is fine, especially ones with little chance of inter-species breeding. That's a no-no. I promise you, whatever you wind up with, you won't be disappointed. - Frank/Guppyman
Guppyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 04:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmm. Where would I find information on the "species interbreeding" thing. Which ones are least likely to interbreed?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Inter-species Breeding

Hi,

I probably needlessly scared you. The chances of it happening are rare, especially in the community-tank environment. I wouldn't concern yourself unless you get very closely related species from the same locale and decide to try your hand at breeding them. For the BEST Cory and pl*co info on the web: http://www.planetcatfish.com

My apologies. - Frank/Guppyman
Guppyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AdamsZoological Send a message via Yahoo to AdamsZoological
Great resource, that is definately the place to go for info on Corys and Plecos, if you cant find it there, you dont need it

AdamsZoological is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cory, corydora, corydoras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com