10 Gal Algae Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since I just got back in to the boards might as well ask for some algae help in my 10gal. For some reason the algae in this tank is out of control and I wanted to know what I can do to help stop it (Other then Limiting Light as Ive tried it). I dont know if there are any algae eaters that will stay small enough for the tank and I dont want snails since then I may have a snail problem unless they are non-hermaphrodite and are easy to sex so I can pick all one sex. If there is some sort of algae cleaner fish or simple solution Id appreciate it, and the current fish in the tank are just a few Neons and a Betta

12/13/06 Test Result

pH 7.6-7.8 range (Normal for water here)
NH3 0 ppm
NO2 0ppm
NO3 30 ppm

Not sure dont know much about algae, its green algae that grows on the glass, heater and rocks in the tank. Its not grassy but more like a slime.

well you may have "limited" the light..but that does no good as light still gets through! I suggest a 5 day blackout ( 3 if you have plants)..cover the tank with like some dark sheets/towels to make sure NONE light gets through.... and you cant feed your fish for the 5 day's or anything..I did it and it worked for me!

Dont know, the Betta is extremely picky about his food and only eats in the morning after the lights have been on for about an hour. Is there any algae eaters out there that are small enough for the tank?

well the point is that you dont feed the fish, as that helps the algea grow ( un-eaten food etc. ) :wink:
their are algea eaters.... otto's, and some snails!

I'd try to fix the problem as the black out method should only be used as a last resort. Increase your water change frequency and amount. If it is Blue Green Algae you need to up the water change schedule. The site linked suggests a treatment. I've never had this specific algae so I can't really comment on a remedy.

It seems to be the only kind I get, Ive had a little spot algae once and a while and a scrapping solves the problems but occasionally I get an over run of this stuff but never as bad as this. I scrapped off most of the stuff on the rocks and heater and plan on working on the glass tomorrow but it really makes a mess floating around. Ill give another waterchange and good gravel vac tomorrow after i clean the tank alittle more.

I really would like to know if there is any kind of small algae eater that would make home fine in the 10gal?

I was thinking some sort of Shrimp but with the Betta Ive heard stories of Bettas making lunch out of them.

BGA can be a nightmare if you don't get it under control. If its rampant than I would definitely do the blackout after a couple of large water changes (a day or two apart). I'm battling the stuff also. Since you don't have many plants then this is probably the best bet. Don't worry about feeding the fish - they'll be fine (unless you have fry).

Fishy - I'd say that Maracyn is the last resort against BGA. Water changes and blackouts are the best bets. Then again, maybe I"m just jaded because I've battling the stuff in my DP tank (previously my BGA infected betta tank) for what seems like forever ! I thought for SURE that once I tore down the betta tank, changed the substrate, and bleached the heck out of everything and rebuilt the tank for the DPs that I'd be rid of BGA forever ... no such luck !

EDIT: There is no creature, be it fish snail or shrimp that will eat BGA.

i killed off my Cyno by sprinkling it will dry KNO3... it just dissapeared in like and hour. but my tank is planted... even if not planted you could still try i guess just do not over do it...

JDogg - how did you come up with that solution ??? That's an amazing fix if it works ! Did you sprinkle all over the tank ? Just the plants ?? More info ! LOL

joannde said:
JDogg - how did you come up with that solution ??? That's an amazing fix if it works ! Did you sprinkle all over the tank ? Just the plants ?? More info ! LOL
i only had it on a couple of plants in my ten and in my 75 ... near the surface...i just shut off my filters and powerhead to minimize water flow and sprinkled about 1/4 tsp KNO3 on each clump of BGA... it was gone b4 i knew it, then i did a 50% pwc and dosed a little extra 1/4 tsp of KNO3 with my Macro Dose...

i caught the BGA early though, i can not promise the same results if you have a large outbreak...

blazeyreef said:
what is dry KNO3????????????????
lol the dry Nitrate powder you can order from places like Gregwatsons.com

Thanks for all the help, Im going to try and just scrape away the majority and step up the cleaning. I still want to get a shrim for the tank as I always wanted one, so will it be fine with the betta in there?

Back
Top Bottom