10 gal. Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaKing

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need some! Ha for my next project I would like to do a 10 gal. non-Betta community tank. I realize I'm kinda limited but I've seen alot of interesting 10 gal. All suggestions are appreciated.

BettaKing said:
I need some! Ha for my next project I would like to do a 10 gal. non-Betta community tank. I realize I'm kinda limited but I've seen alot of interesting 10 gal. All suggestions are appreciated.

How about a planted tank! With tetras, I love cardinals, with some cat fish either Cory or ottos! Both needs to be kept in groups! And u can also add shrimp to this set up!

I would like to do Cories, but I don't like installing sand. I like Tetras and Ottos. Keep the suggestions coming! :-D
How about:
6 Tetras (Cardinal or Neon?)
RCS
3-4 Ottos
Anything else?

BettaKing said:
I would like to do Cories, but I don't like installing sand. I like Tetras and Ottos. Keep the suggestions coming! :-D
How about:
RCS
3-4 Ottos
Anything else?

I do cardinals! They look much nicer (More red) and I'll do 3 ottos! Just make sure u acclimate them slowly! Do u know how to drip acclimate? And yes I recently added RCS to my 10g! And they are doin great! Though I need to spend my day looking for them as they love hiding in plants! Ottos and RCS do best in planted aquarium! It's not a necessity though.

wht bout doing a dwrf puffer species only tank? you can keep otos with them too :D but i do think they prefer sand, and they have to eat some live food. but they are really adorable and smart (for a fish) i might turn my empty 10g into a dwarf puffer tank ^_^

you don't have to use sand for corys, they are fine in gravel and planted tank substrates. There are a lot of nano species that you can fill the tank with, microrasboras and celestial pearl danios come to mind. Scarlet gem badis, sparkling gourami. Maybe heterandria formosa (least killifish), leptolucania ommata (pygmy killifish), and elassoma gilberti/evergladei/zonatum (pygmy sunfish) if you are into natives.

Wow alot more options than I thought! For the plants, I would prefer ones that don't require ferts. Preferably rooted plants. Any suggestions? Some good beginner plants. I know I'm gonna do Java Fern I have some in my current 10 gal. and I love the look of it! So if I were to do:
6 Cardinal Tetras
4-5 RCS
and 3-4 Ottos
Would I be fully or over-stocked? Could I do anything else? Thx for all ya'lls help so far!

BettaKing said:
Wow alot more options than I thought! For the plants, I would prefer ones that don't require ferts. Preferably rooted plants. Any suggestions? Some good beginner plants. I know I'm gonna do Java Fern I have some in my current 10 gal. and I love the look of it! So if I were to do:
6 Cardinal Tetras
4-5 RCS
and 3-4 Ottos
Would I be fully or over-stocked? Could I do anything else? Thx for all ya'lls help so far!

U can try water sprite, wisteria ( water fern), anubias, and ambulia! These plants I kept without much care! And java moss Ofc! And for RCS! Do about 10 or more, their bioload is so small!

Well none yet, probably going to get a kit I've been looking at. It's at PetCo, it comes with an adjustable heater, filter, basically everything except decorations. I think it's Tetra...can't remember.

BettaKing said:
Well none yet, probably going to get a kit I've been looking at. It's at PetCo, it comes with an adjustable heater, filter, basically everything except decorations. I think it's Tetra...can't remember.

Hmm stock filter isn't always the best. So I'll actually leave them be at this point in time. Because cardinals and ottos gets to about 5cm when fully grown!

How about:
RCS
3-4 Ottos
Anything else?
I don't think this is a good idea with the oto's. They don't do great in 10 gals because they need to be stocked in groups of atleast 3, yet you don't want to stock more than 1 per 5 gals. They can be pretty sensitive. Many of them will refuse prepared foods such as algae wafers and zucchini, relying solely on algae produced by the tank to survive. If you do try them, my advice would be to wait atleast 6 months after the tank is set up. This will increase your chances of success with them. It's also a good idea to grow extra algae for them..easy to do by placing stones in a bowl of tank water in your window, then adding to the tank for them to graze on once covered in algae. If trying to keep oto's in a smaller tank like yours I think doing this is worthwhile. I've had very little success supplementing them with other foods.

I would recommend some nano fish for your tank. You could do a trio of sparkling gourami (1 male 2 female) or a few dario dario aka scarlet badis, a school of celestial pearl danios, micro rasbora, or ember tetra. Pygmy cories would be great as well like hasbrosus or nanus. Small fish like this can really thrive in a 10 gal. :)

Diff micro rasboras are different sizes so it depends. If you do boraras briggitae aka mosquito or chili rasbora you could do 12. You'd want to up that to 6 pygmy cories. I have never mixed nano fish with larger fish like a dwarf gourami. My personal preference would be to instead of a trio of sparkling gourami (1 male 2 female) but if you prefer a dwarf gourami that should work. The dwarf gouramis I've had have been very peaceful and I wouldn't expect them to bother most smaller fish...however those rasbora are SO small..that I just don't know.

Does anyone know where I could get Micro Rasboras in Houston, TX? Preferably around the west side, towards Katy, Stafford and Sugarland. If I can't find Rasboras. Could I do:
1 Dwarf Gourami(Or Dwarf Flame Gourami)
6 Cardnal Tetras
6 Pygmy Cories?
Or would that be over-stocking?

That one is tricky for me to say...I'm not a fan of the cards in a 10 and think an ember tetra or other smaller fish would thrive in a tank that size much better. But..many do keep them in a 10 and feel that it is fine..

I couldn't find any micro rasbora locally and had to order mine. Severum mama (a mod on this site that many here order fish from) does carry chili rasbora sometimes though they are not in stock at the moment. Franksaquarium.com also carries them, in the event you wanted to order some. He has the pygmy cories as well. But I would expect you could prob find them locally in Houston. I'd start calling the pet stores in your area. Some that done carry them may even be able to order some in for you..that way you don't have to pay for shipping.

Back
Top Bottom