10 gal - pleco & goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BarbaraM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since all indications tell me that I'm not going to be able to stabalize my 10 gal fw aquarium, I moved my mollies to the 25 gal tank and bought a red oranda goldfish. I've been gradually lowering the temperature a couple of degrees a day from 78 down to 68 and have moved one rough rock I had put in for ambiance. I've read that each goldfish needs 8 gal of water - so I can't add another as I'd hoped. Can I put my small (2" maybe) pleco back in the 10 gal? Or can I add some tiny cat fish? My goldfish,Waldo-what a cutie - is about 2 1/2 inches right now not counting the back fins. I've read that plecos will suck on the goldfish - not good - but if I keep it to a small one will it be ok?
Barbara:n00b:

Some plecos can get to be VERY large. I had one that grew to be well over 12 inches in length.

Goldfish are also extremely messy fish, so I assume water quality may be an issue for some other fish. I've never kept goldfish, so I have no experience with them.

Love your dog. You're right. Water quality will be an issue for other fish. I'm hoping pleco's are different. I have an 8" pleco in my 25 gal - he will be going to a relatives 50 gal soon. So as soon as my pleco outgrows the 10 gal - he could go in the 25 gal. If it's safe to put him in there. Since the goldfish produce so much amonia, I know I'll have to do frequent water changes. I'm planning 20% once a week.

I have two fantail goldfish and a pleco with 8 mollies in a 30 gallon tank along with some corydoras catfish. I'm glad to hear that you moved your mollies to another tank because they need warmer water than the goldfish. Also, your oranda has the capacity to get almost a foot long, so it would be much happier in a larger tank. However, its small enough to be in the 10 gallon for now. I think 4 cory cats would be a good addition to the tank because they'll stay at the bottom and might clean up some algae, etc. The pleco will get very big, but its also probably fine in the tank while its still small. I would plan to get a larger tank eventually, and maybe another goldfish or two. I'm partial though because I love goldfish :). Some people report problems with plecos sucking on goldfish at night time, and I've noticed some scales missing on my goldfish, so I'm going to give the goldfish their own tank in a few months. That of course is up to you.

Thank you! Except for hating water, my dog could be a fish--she certainly likes fish food anyway. . .

That could work then if Plecos can cohab with goldfish. I found this website that might be useful... Compatible Tank Mates - Goldfish Utopia - For all your Goldfish Needs. I also read someone (Cant' find where now) that white clouds can live with goldfish. Maybe look at the temp. requirements of other fish since goldies like cold water.

I've heard of people going overkill with filters for goldies before. We did it with a tank of oscars, i think the filter we used was rated for a tank that was twice the size of what we had. . .

my dog likes fish food too - she scouts the floor after feeding time hoping I've dropped some. Thanks for the web site - I'll try it.

Phoenix - everyone keeps telling me that I WILL find a place in my small home for a larger tank - even though I don't think I can. Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of the catfish, too.

I read somewhere that you should not have food on top of the water for goldfish, so this afternoon I held individual flakes just under the water level till they floated down - little piglet ate 7 flakes before if started spitting them back out. That was after a freeze dried fubifex forms square. I'll bet it hasn't been eating since I got it 3 days go. I was hiding in the artificial plants - now its swimming in the front of the tank. Even acted as if it was showing off when I took picture. This is going to be fun.

You don't have to go to 68 for the oranda ... they like warmer temps (compared to single tailed golds). I keep my tank at 76 year round. The warmer water will also be better for the pleco ... if you decide to get one.

I have seen ordinary plecos kept with golds, but since both are heavy waste producers, you will have a hard time keeping the water stable as they grow ..... a dwarf pleco is much better choice. I suppose you can keep both in the 10 when small, but you will need new digs for them within a year or 2.

All fish will add to your ammonia/nitrogenous waste load .... in that sense, catfish won't help.

People have catfish like cories to eat food that had fallen to the bottom & uneaten by the other fish. Golds are unlikely to let any morsel of food get past them to reach the bottom. If any does, they can eat off the bottom as good as any other bottom dweller, so you don't need bottom cleaner with golds.

I'm glad you told me that. I don't think my goldfish sees well - unless she is watching in the right direction when you drop the food, she doesn't find it. But I have noticed her going along the bottom of the tank eating.

Thank you so much for all the information. I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom