10 gal setup ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canterthefishman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all! I am thinking of getting some unusual tropical fish for my old 10 gal. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have two golden wonder kilis in my ten. :) they're pretty hardy too.

a dwarf puffer would be a good choice. I want one but my parents said no more tanks. :(

Lastly, maybe a kuli loach, I don't know if a ten is too small for these though?

These are just my ideas, feel free to do whatever you want.
Option #1:
X6 Ember Tetras
X1 Killifish that is appropriate size for the tank (there's a lot of different species, so make sure to do your research)
Options #2:
X2 Dwarf Puffers with A LOT of hiding spaces
Option #3:
Shell-dwelling cichlid colony
Option #4:
X3 sparkling gouramis
X6 Pygmy/hasborous cories
Option #5:
X10 Chilli Rasboras
X1 Croaking Gourami

Hope that helped you out. Good luck! (y)

Hi! My LFS did not have any shell dwelling cichlids, so I got a convict cichlid (just for now). And I was wondering what other tank mates I can have with her.

A convict? They get too big for a 10 gallon tank... They need atleast 55 gallons IMO, which is a 4 foot tank.

Canterthefishman said:
Could I add a pleco?

No, plecos get too big. I suggest smaller fish like livebearers, pygmy cories, chili rasboras and other "nano fish"

There are no plecos that I perosnally would add to a 10g tank long-term. As for your con, just make sure to watch how fast it grows so it isn't in there too long. :)
Not too many lfs seem to carry shellies, you often have to order them online. But, there are some really reputable online dealers out there and you can very likely end up spending les ordering fish (even with shipping) than buying them from a store.
If you still want to look into shellies once your con has a new home, I suggest either brevis or multifaciatus. Honestly, 2 inches is the bigger end of a con I would house in a 10g even temporarily, so you may want to find a new home for him sooner rather than later. They are pretty fish though. :) Do you know if yours is a boy or a girl?

Thats cool. If you got a 40g, you could have some nice tankmates in with her. :) Cons can get nasty when breeding, but 1 lone female should be better behaved. You still have to be careful about what goes with her, but you will have some options I think. :)

Back
Top Bottom