10 gal, super tiny chip on face of glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeishii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I recently got help with my fishless cycle here :) Thank you to those who helped me! I've got the tank up and running and fish-in now. So happy!

However...

The unexpected discovery that one of my three diamond tetras (planned to get 5 in total) was a boy and REALLY likes one of the two girls (there are at least 4 or 5 live fry in the tank now!!) had me looking really closely at the tank to try to spot the tiny guys. This lead to noticing a very small chip in the glass.

I'm unable to remember if the chip was there when my friend gifted me the tank (purchased it at a Petco). The more I think about it the more sure I am that it was there before and I had no leaking and no issues in my apartment, where it was set up for over 6 months. Currently the tank has been kept full with multiple water changes for about 2 months.

It's about 3 inches from the base, another 3-4 inches from the corner (in the pane of the side on the 10 gal long tank), less than 1/4 inch wide, and not particularly deep. It does not extend through the entirety of the glass (cannot feel it inside the tank). It does not leak. There are no warps or radiating lines; it's kind of like someone with a super sharp fingernail just nicked it slightly.

Would filling it with silicone be an okay solution? I do not have a good way of transferring the fish (especially all the babies!) to another tank at this time to replace and try to rapid-cycle a new 10 gallon, so I'm hoping this one will last. (I would honestly like to find a safe place in the house and get an appropriate base to hold a 15 or 20 gallon but don't have the money right now to do that).

The research I have done has offered mixed views, with some on the extreme of "it's no good anymore" and others suggesting that it's not a big deal. My only concern is that it's so low on the tank since the pressure is the worst toward the base.

Thanks for your time!

And sorry if this is the wrong place, wasn't sure if I should ask here as a general Q or if I should post in the equipment forum.

I will try to get a pic when my camera phone is on (battery died, of course) and during the day when I have better lighting to take a picture that doesn't look all crazy colored.

It sounds to me like it is almost a wide scratch not a chip from your description if that's what you would agree with then I would say its fine. If it is a chip and is deep silicon won't help and I would be cautious using it.

It sounds to me like it is almost a wide scratch not a chip from your description if that's what you would agree with then I would say its fine. If it is a chip and is deep silicon won't help and I would be cautious using it.

Hi TheCommunityCichlid!

My husband agrees with your assessment that it seems more like a "wide scratch" than a "chip" because of how small and shallow it is.

Back
Top Bottom